Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently changed my rear end gears and obviously my speedometer is off a little. So I pulled my speedometer gear today and was hoping that someone else has already done this? I can't see the color of the drive gear but the driven gear I pulled out has 20 teeth and appears to be white in color but it is old. Do I just need to replace the driven gear?

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
So I recently changed my rear end gears and obviously my speedometer is off a little. So I pulled my speedometer gear today and was hoping that someone else has already done this? I can't see the color of the drive gear but the driven gear I pulled out has 20 teeth and appears to be white in color but it is old. Do I just need to replace the driven gear?
what transmission??

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
I would recommend you do a speed check with a GPS, with the new gears.

That would tell you how much your speedometer is off.

With this information, you can decide how many teeth (up or down) you should change the driven gear.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I swapped out my 3.08's to 3.73's years ago and had the same issue with my speedometer being off. I went to TCI's website and they had several calculators on their website. I was able to use one of them to figure out what gear I needed based on my transmission, rear end gear ratio, and tire height. Then I just ordered one up from the parts store.

I had my buddy's uncle who owned a trans shop install it for me. The one I got from the parts store was a cheapy plastic one, so he found one he had laying around that was metal with the same amount of teeth on it and used that instead. It's been in there ever since with no problems (12 years).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts