Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on a '74 nova with a th350 is there supposed to be a gasket or something between the speedometer cable and transmission. My tranny is leaking around the cable and I wasnt sure if it just needs silicone around or if there is supposed to be a gasket

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,995 Posts
Mine was leaking there and a few other places. I took it to a trasmission shop since I had several leaks an no lift to work off of. There is some kind of replaceable boot/grommet that cable goes through. Mine still leaked after they replaced the boot/grommet and come to find out transmission fluid had worked its way up the cable. I have heard that it can go all the way to your speedometer. The fix for that was disconnect the cable and let it habg down over night. I had about 2 tablespoons of transmission fluid in my cable. At least I know it is lubricated.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
A turbo 350 has an o-ring around the adapter the gear goes in in the tailhousing and a little seal in the adapter to the spedo gear.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so I guess i didnt notice just from a qucik glance under the car but when I got it up on ramps today I found out the reason that its leaking is because its missing the hold down clamp, So the cable was really loose. We must have forgot to put it back on and lost it when we did the transmission. Does anyone know where I can get one?

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,995 Posts
Pretty common part. Most transmission shops have hand fulls of them laying around.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Pretty common part. Most transmission shops have hand fulls of them laying around.
^^What he said. These are common parts and will save you a lot of grief!:yes:

Dave

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
picked one up last night and also got a new cable and gear( it was missing one). Hopefully it will work now :yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts