Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 70 nova the speedo doese not work it's stuck on 20 but when I was at the track doing a burn out it jumped up to 55.Then going down the road it jumped back down to 20.What is doing this is it the gauge or is the speedo cable bad.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
It could be either. The only way to tell is to take out the gauge cluster and spin the back of it by hand see if the needle moves (My guess if it sits on 20 it is the speedo). If it does spin and the needle moves then it could be the cable.

I have take apart several speedos and usually there is small bits of rust/metal that lodge themselves to the magnet that is in there. If you are a detail person it is not that hard to do. The most difficult part is taking off the needle of the speedo. The easiest way that I have found is to take a fork and bend two of the tines close together put it under the needle and carefully pry up and it should pop off. Then remove the two screws that hold the face of the guage on and the it is just a few more screws and it will be apart.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
The speedo in my Nova behaved in a similar fashion. I got another one, and put it in after verifying that it worked, and that one did the same thing. It turned out to be the speedo driven gear in the trans was worn out.

Randy (another item to check):)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts