Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone changed out the speedo gears in the transmission I figured out that I need the 10 teeth dive gear and a 31 tooth driven gear my question is has anyone done this before? and is there a piece that keeps the dive gear on the output shaft of the trans? one last questions I am converting from a th350 to the 200 R4 the th350 had a box on the trans where the speedo cable screws in will that box work with the 200R4 or do I need a new adapter? any other pointers would be appreciated

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
And that's one of the fun parts about a 200R4. You'll need to drop the pan to change the speedo gears. I'm not positive, but as far as I know the 200R4 is the only GM O.D. tranny that you need to do that to.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
You have to drop the pan and then the governor cover. If you have a stock governor you will want lighten the governor weights at this time. On my 65 Sport Wagon the speedo cable screwed right on to the speedo drive. Go on yahoo and do a search on governors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the trans i have didnt have the speedo drive with it i was going to use the th350 if it will work but i dont know if it will work

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
contact bowtie overdrives...they sell all the gears and will point you in the right direction.....i think they have a gear calculator on their web site

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have done all of what your asking on the 200 do you know what is on the governor for a drive gear? You do have to drop the pan and take out the governor to change the drive gear. The driven gear you can get to from outside the case. The box you have you can use with the 200 I had a stock speedo cable hooked up to mine. I now have my 200 behind my 408 LS motor!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts