Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have new rear end gears now and have to get my speedometer back close to being accurate. I have gone to a 24 tooth gear and I need to go one or two teeth more. There seems to be two sizes of speedo gears and right now mine is the smaller one. I can't believe the bigger speedo gear will slide in and work just like the smaller one did, will it? Is there another sleeve for the bigger gears? I am stumped.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

I assume it's for either a 4 speed or a TH350? They are hard to find, but they do make a 25 and 26 tooth gear that slides right into the housing without any issues. GM doesn't make them anymore (ran into this issue recently when I needed a 26 tooth gear and the local GM dealer told me this) so if you can't find one, just get a different internal gear and use your current driven gear. It's real easy to change the inside gear: Remove the driveshaft, unbolt the 4 bolts on the tailshaft, then you'll see the gear I'm talking about. A snap ring holds it in place, so using pliers it comes right off. Slide the gear off the tailshaft, slide the new on one, the ring will snap back on, then put it back together. Took me about 45 minutes this last weekend.

Jason

1 - 2 of 2 Posts