Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
White lithium grease like GM Lubriplate. Nothing heavy for a lubricant.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
The cable on mine was packed with nasty crap after 40 years of being in the car. On mine I used WD-40 to spray into it and loosen the grime that had built up in the cable. I spun the cable with a cordless drill and sprayed the WD inthe the cable while it spun and I worked the cable in and out. After a couple of minutes a really nasty goo came out the bottom of the cable. After a few minutes the WD started coming out fairly clean I used a little lithium grease on the cable. When I started you could barely spin the cable and the needle jumped around. When I was finished the cable spun easy and the needle on the speedometer was smooth.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cable on mine was packed with nasty crap after 40 years of being in the car. On mine I used WD-40 to spray into it and loosen the grime that had built up in the cable. I spun the cable with a cordless drill and sprayed the WD inthe the cable while it spun and I worked the cable in and out. After a couple of minutes a really nasty goo came out the bottom of the cable. After a few minutes the WD started coming out fairly clean I used a little lithium grease on the cable. When I started you could barely spin the cable and the needle jumped around. When I was finished the cable spun easy and the needle on the speedometer was smooth.
Sweet. I've got plenty of WD-40. :D

And... spray lithium grease too. Now I need to take the cable out of the car... :(

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I got a new cable ...they keep them in stock..just find out what size. or just cleaner up...on my 66..I disconnected it from the tranny and the back of the speedo.rerouted it and snaped it back into the clips on the frame....took 15 minutes...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sweet. I've got plenty of WD-40. :D

And... spray lithium grease too. Now I need to take the cable out of the car... :(
Would you really need to take it out of the car? You could probably just disconnect both ends. Put the bottom end in a container to collect the stuff coming out and spray the WD40 in the top end??

Another thought...WD40 has a tendency to gum up a bit. You could use a bike chain lube. Like this
http://www.triflowlubricants.com/products/superiorlubricantaerosol.html

I was told a long time ago to not use WD40 on bike chains because it gums up the chain and derailures, experience tells me it does too. I was told the reason is WD40 is vegatable based and this particular product is petroleum based. I've used it for years on my bike and would never go back to WD40 for this type of application.

my .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts