Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a photo of how far the Speedo cable fits on to the back of there instrument panel?

Just installed a new cable as it was missing on my car. Screwed it in first into a Muncie and then pressed it on to the speedometer just enough to fit under the retaining clip. Wouldn’t go any further.

First time out Driving I would get a sporadic needle bounce and that’s it. I can hear the sound of the cable spinning behind the dash. I think made its not in all the way. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
What i did on my 67 is put the cable in the dash first, then into the trans.

Much easier to do that way and to be sure it is flush in the dash. Getting a picture would be very hard to do.

Dave

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
If the inner cable isn't fully seated, it tends to just spin in the end of the female socket without seating, even if the sheath is seated and locked.

Was the speedometer known to be working before you installed this cable?
Or is this the cluster that was in the car, with no cable, and you were just hoping that it still worked?

It may be worthwhile to disconnect the cable from the transmission, re-seat the cluster end, and test the speedometer by spinning the inner cable counter-clockwise with a drill. Start slow. A couple hundred rpm should be enough to show low speed. Exactly 1,000 rpm should, theoretically, be exactly 60 mph.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the inner cable isn't fully seated, it tends to just spin in the end of the female socket without seating, even if the sheath is seated and locked.

Was the speedometer known to be working before you installed this cable?
Or is this the cluster that was in the car, with no cable, and you were just hoping that it still worked?

It may be worthwhile to disconnect the cable from the transmission, re-seat the cluster end, and test the speedometer by spinning the inner cable counter-clockwise with a drill. Start slow. A couple hundred rpm should be enough to show low speed. Exactly 1,000 rpm should, theoretically, be exactly 60 mph.
It didn’t have a cable to begin with. Guess I will pull it from the trans and test it. Sucks cause I have to remove the shifter linkages to access it but oh well. ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
What i did on my 67 is put the cable in the dash first, then into the trans.

Much easier to do that way and to be sure it is flush in the dash. Getting a picture would be very hard to do.

Dave
This method works & i always did it this way. You can ruin a new cable if you here it spinning behind the cluster. Some old repair kits came with a replacement nylon/plastic speedo end on the inner cable---they will twist & snap off in the head---just a heads up---good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just make sure the end of the sheath is all the way on behind the clip.

Mine is not seated as far as the one you show is. It is past the clip though but only about 1/8 inch. Couldn’t seem to get it on any further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts