Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got some Speedhut gauges for my ’62 and I figured I’d do a write up on how I installed them. First off, the Speedhut gauges are very high quality and made in the USA. They are all electronic and come complete with wiring and senders for each gauge. They are very reasonably priced for what you get and the custom options for appearance are mind blowing. I opted for a simpler look and wanted to retain an appearance that is almost stock – to the point where the average passerby would not even notice them. For a minimal added cost, Speedhut will match as close as possible the OEM Chevy fonts for the numbers, but I opted for one of their out of the box fonts when I did my custom options. I also elected to not add anything to the gauge face, but I have seen some with either Chevy II or Canso emblems and they look awesome. Go directly to Speedhut and design a gauge! The tools are easy to use and you can come up with some pretty wild stuff – note their designers will also work with you directly if you have something in mind but cannot execute it using the webpage.

It was very important to me that I retained my stock ’62 bezel. I know there are some neat options for triple gauges if I moved to a ’63-’65 style, but the large ’62 bezel is unique and I really want the unique character of the first year car. The plan was to install the largest gauges I could in the stock location behind the chrome bezel. After careful measuring I opted for the 4 ½” Speedhut gauges. These have a 3.76” window and a 4.5” bezel – the ’62 gauge opening at the bottom of the stock bezel measures around 3.8” (really close). I ordered the gauges with the “Legacy” chrome bezel so, any gap between the factory bezel and the gauge would be chrome and a decent match.

Initial test fit of the gauges were good, but I could not come up with a clean way to attach them. After some thought and evaluating how stock gauges are assembled (like a sandwich), I found if I removed the blackout for the stock gauges and flipped it, I had perfect height for the Speedhut gauge – but still no way to lock the gauge in place. A trip to the local Lowe’s solved that with a 4” adaptor for drainage pipe (L2P42 is the part number). I cut 1” off this and pop-riveted this to the OE housing then used some felt tape on the gauge to prevent the gauge from moving (rotating). It’s an awesome fit. Keep in mind I am not using the Speedhut retaining ring – but I felt this method of install was clean, would not vibrate and would not rotate.
All that’s left now is to finish hooking it up, but I am very pleased so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
ya did good there Mr B. that will look great on a night drive all lit up.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,758 Posts
Speed Hut .......... :D :cool:

I DID Use The Speed Hut Gauges ..... New SPEED-BOX just last month ...

when, I got my "new T 5 installed " , the trans is a '93 B-W w/c with electric speedo-drive ---- and ----
still using my 'stock - factory - style dash
(mech) speedometer. It's working just like they say ...... running my stock speedo by " GPS " (kinda).
Very easy to wire-up and make th' connections ......... but ......... some-what pricey
( I now see they have dropped the price, some). I have an app. on my phone ......
connect to the ' GPS' for both my phone &
'Speed-box' to compare the speed read-outs ----- about 2-3-4 mph difference .....
good for me ..... it's working. :yes:

jim

(I only used the "Speed-BOX" , run S/W manual gauges)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Awesome job putting modern gauges in the stock 62 bezel. By the way, that is the nicest looking chrome on your bezel I have seen. Is that NOS or did you have it re-chromed? If yes, where did you get it done cause I would like to have mine restored. Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome job putting modern gauges in the stock 62 bezel. By the way, that is the nicest looking chrome on your bezel I have seen. Is that NOS or did you have it re-chromed? If yes, where did you get it done cause I would like to have mine restored. Thanks
Thank you. I got lucky - mine is original and a huge reason why I wanted to keep it. Chrome is very presentable. Surprisingly the car was a barn find (pole barns are still barns - right?) and had sat for about 29 years indoors. During the preceding 24 years the car lived in Colorado and Michigan and it really never saw extended sunlight - which is a reason I think it survived so well. It's one of those cars where I can still clearly make out crayon marks on the cowl and underbody and the original red primer on the bottoms of the floors is nearly perfect on more than 70% of the floor. Call me malevolent if you want :devil: - but at least I am making efforts to preserve the original character of the car while still building a touring car :yes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts