Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok got a question is speed shifting a munie keeping the gas to the floor and just tapping the clutch and shifting or is it letting off the gas for a second shifting and not using the clutch. Does it matter ? Just an FYI I’ve been shifting my car at the track not using the clutch seems to be working really good, it’s been giving 3 to 5 tens of a second off my times. I ask this because there seems to be a deference of option on this method.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have always kept the gas to the floorboard and tapped the clutch. I would be afraid that long term if you are not using the clutch your going to tear up the sycronizers.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
my last pro street nova was a 396 with a M22. when racing i would let up on the gas slightly, then slam in the next gear. no clutch at all..rpm would drop maybe 500-1000 on each shift...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I see on the videos not clutching it the front hardly drops between gears. It may be hard on the syncros but works wery well if you get it down. This is an L78 Block 840 heads stroked to a 438 also runnig an M22 :yes:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be right on the shifting terms, seems like its up to the driver and what works well for them, thanks all.:D

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
From what I see on the videos not clutching it the front hardly drops between gears. It may be hard on the syncros but works wery well if you get it down. This is an L78 Block 840 heads stroked to a 438 also runnig an M22 :yes:
Which videos are those? Don't mistake many stick cars with Jerico or G-Force transmissioned cars that can be shifted by pulling the stick back and forth. All of the stick racing I have done, has been stabbing the clutch and shifting with the gas pedal on the floor boards.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear what your saying 1221 I'm just saying it works very well on my M22. As Big dog said it works just another school of thought. The hard shift is second to third miss that one allots. I’m sure practice will increase its success. I’m sure this process has allot to do with engine RPM as the engine PRMS drop allowing the Trans gears to somewhat align. Like it was mentioned I’m sure it’s real hard on the syncro's. When burning out typically there is a one to two foot section between 1,2,3,4 when not clutching it "speed shifting" there is maybe 6 inches if any space between gears Like I said 3 and 4 is the hardest to get and most of the time get missed.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I hear what your saying 1221 I'm just saying it works very well on my M22. As Big dog said it works just another school of thought. The hard shift is second to third miss that one allots. I’m sure practice will increase its success. I’m sure this process has allot to do with engine RPM as the engine PRMS drop allowing the Trans gears to somewhat align. Like it was mentioned I’m sure it’s real hard on the syncro's. When burning out typically there is a one to two foot section between 1,2,3,4 when not clutching it "speed shifting" there is maybe 6 inches if any space between gears Like I said 3 and 4 is the hardest to get and most of the time get missed.
If that is the way you want to shift your trans find yourself a V-Gate shifter,
you have to cut up the floor a little more than a with an H-pattern shifter, but works great in that application.

my last pro street nova was a 396 with a M22. when racing i would let up on the gas slightly, then slam in the next gear. no clutch at all..rpm would drop maybe 500-1000 on each shift...
This is the way I use to shift my M-22 when drag racing, the M-22 having the straight cut gears makes it easier to "speed shift"

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL! had a saginaw once for some reason it got cought between second and third at the same time I'm perty sure it was only once may have been speed shifting it :D You Know when I got the trans it had a v-gate with it ?? didnt want to cut the floor but totally agree with it working :yes:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
This is the way I use to shift my M-22 when drag racing, the M-22 having the straight cut gears makes it easier to "speed shift"
M-22 don't have straight cut gears, they are cut at a smaller angle than are the gears in an M-20 or M-21. That's why an M-22 whines more than the others. If they were straight cut, they would make lots more noise.
Besides, when you shift a Muncie, you are sliding an internally toothed collar over the v-shaped teeth on the synchro blocker ring and onto the small straight cut teeth behind the synchro on the gear. The only gear you actually move when you shift it is reverse gear, and it obviously isn't synchronized.

See the difference here:

·
Registered
7 Posts
M-22 don't have straight cut gears, they are cut at a smaller angle than are the gears in an M-20 or M-21. That's why an M-22 whines more than the others. If they were straight cut, they would make lots more noise.
Besides, when you shift a Muncie, you are sliding an internally toothed collar over the v-shaped teeth on the synchro blocker ring and onto the small straight cut teeth behind the synchro on the gear. The only gear you actually move when you shift it is reverse gear, and it obviously isn't synchronized.

See the difference here:

"Back in the Day" and before the after market made good parts, we would grind off every other syncro tooth and same on slider and also reduce the sring tension or remove the spring completely to make a slick shift four handle. Until Doug Nash came along with improved sliders and gears this was the norm, Steve

·
Registered
3,859 Posts

See the difference here:

Exactly, the gears are constant meshed so any difference in cut has no effect on how easy the trans shifts, it's the synchro and sliders that do the moving...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts