Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was talking to a motorhead oer the weekend, i told him i have a comp cam installed, and he said to make sure im using a special kind of oil that has zinc or something in it. he said depending on the type of cam, you might have to use special oil. I have a Hydraulic flat tappet CCA-12-210-2 CompCam with a CS 268H-10 Grind Number. My engine is a 350, with 37,000 miles on it. What kind of oil should i be using.

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
A search of the site will provide some very good research on oils by Veno that should answer your questions. Flat tappets need zinc which most of the newer oils have decreased levels of.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Was talking to a motorhead oer the weekend, i told him i have a comp cam installed, and he said to make sure im using a special kind of oil that has zinc or something in it. he said depending on the type of cam, you might have to use special oil. I have a Hydraulic flat tappet CCA-12-210-2 CompCam with a CS 268H-10 Grind Number. My engine is a 350, with 37,000 miles on it. What kind of oil should i be using.
Try this:

http://cam-shield.com/index.html

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Just look at the ZDPP sticky at the top of the forum

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
shell rotella and some GM EOS or comp cams break in additive. I use this only during break in. After that I run 20/50. Once the cam is broken in it shouldn't need any additional additives. For piece of mind switch to synthetic or use GM EOS or Comp Cams break in lube on every other oil change. After 37,000 miles I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Shell Rotella, hope i spelled it right.
The Rotella-T has a lower zinc content then it use too and really should not be used with flat tappet cams, We have been using the http://www.cen-pe-co.com/ S-3 15/40 which has 1582 PPM of zinc and their 20/50 has 2300 PPM of zinc and seems to be a popular oil amoung engine builders.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
The Rotella-T has a lower zinc content then it use too and really should not be used with flat tappet cams, We have been using the http://www.cen-pe-co.com/ S-3 15/40 which has 1582 PPM of zinc and their 20/50 has 2300 PPM of zinc and seems to be a popular oil amoung engine builders.
yes.. rotella is now 1300ppm

the single weights HD30 oils are exempt from the CJ4 and are the old CI formula... and has above 1400 ppm...

But this is all covered in the ZDDP and Modern oil sticky at the top of this section...

Its really the Phos not the zinc according to Mark Fermer... that protects a engine.... and If you want a ton of that zinc and phos with out mail order, special shipping, and Cheap... Pennzoil GT 25W50, 50w, 60w, ALL have OVER 1800ppm of PHOS, and 2000ppm of zinc.... and is available any where Pennziol is sold.... but you will have to ask for it...

But this is all covered again in the ZDDP and Modern oil STICKY at the top of this section.... all ya got to do is read it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Brad Penn oil (formerly Kendall "the green oil") had the first and best handle on this

http://www.bradpennracing.com/Zinc.html

The Brad Penn® Penn Grade 1® High Performance Oils contain the higher level of anti-wear (ZDDP – zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) and enhanced film strength so critical to proper high performance engine protection. The Penn-Grade 1® oils “typical” 1,500 ppm Zinc (Zn) and 1340-1400 ppm Phosphorus (P) content provide the needed anti-wear protection to critical engine parts, such as piston/cylinder walls, roller cams under heavy valve spring pressure and especially those that employ a solid “flat tappet” type system. As important as the chemistry is to the Penn-Grade 1® oils, it is by no means the whole story. The unique base oil cut used to refine the Penn-Grade 1® High Performance Oils maintain a tremendous affinity to metal surfaces. This naturally occurring “metal wetting” characteristic enables the oil to stay put on your highly stressed engines and makes the Penn-Grade 1® High Performance Oil resist slinging for an extended period of time. Also, rest assured in knowing that the Penn-Grade 1® High Performance Oils are 100% Made in the USA.

They have a great break-in oil that I use also.
Check into it but we use to use Brad-Penn till they lowered their zinc as well.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Also covered in the ZDDP and modern oils sticky is how ZDDP effects rpm and hp.. the higher the concentrates the more parasitic loss and can or impede oil flow around the bearings... and Also the use of Diesel oil for racing...

just like cams.. going to the bottom of the page and selecting that biggest cam.... will not be the best choice for you... neither will selecting or creating SUPER high concentrates of ZDDP in oil...

the Best pour on top stuff out there is ZDDPLUS... add that 4 oz. bottle to Pennzoil GT oils.. and you would be well over 3000ppm...

now.. do ya need it?. do ya want it>>.. and again that is covered in the ZDDP and modern oil sticky...

Lots of miss information out there...and confused internet lore...

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Great stuff: Royal Purple Break-in Oil
http://www.royalpurple.com/breakin-oil-rh.html

Engine builders have grown increasingly concerned that many modern motor oils do not provide adequate wear protection for new engines, particularly those using flat-tappet cams. Royal Purple has addressed this issue by developing a new engine break-in oil.

Royal Purple Break-in Oil is formulated to allow optimal ring seal and protect rotating assembly components such as the camshaft and valve train from initial start up wear. Royal Purple combines highly refined mineral oil, preferred for engine break-in, with advanced additives containing high levels of zinc and phosphorus to optimize protection in flat-tappet and roller engines.

Royal Purple Break-in Oil is fully formulated and does not require the use of any other chemical additives. Royal Purple recommends using their high performance motor oils after the engine is broken in for maximum engine performance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts