Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some of the wheel prices jump when a special backspace is needed. a std off the shelf wheel is considerably lower priced...

i keep looking at Batman's '65 with the 3 different wheel choices and it's killin' me. on my '64 with 235-60-15's and rear discs i have a 4-3/4" backspace (3" drop) and barely clear... i'm installing the 5 lugger diff in my Moordoor with the rear LS discs and am getting wiped out by 17" wheel prices.

the cost of shortening a diff, from what i checked is around $200. axles are around $250.00 i'm wondering is it wouldn't be better to shorten the diff by 1-1/2" total and have the opportunity to run a std 4-1/4" backspace wheel? then i could basically use any off the shelf wheel...

any thoughts?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
didn't get it or it hasn't yet been sent. ;)

also...

any recommendations to use an S10 diff is out of the question... a '65 5 lugger 8.2 will be used... Thanks. ;)

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Running off the shelf wheels also means if you bend one replacements are cheap and quick to get. A deeper dish in the rear wheel (as viewed from the outside) than in front generally looks better to me, especially if the rear tire is a wider size than the front.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
exactly... also it would be a one shot deal on the differential which when done the savings on wheels would offset some of the costs on the shortening/axles.

i'm seriously considering this, still checking it though...

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Since your changing axles and shortening the tubes it's a small upcharge for the conversion ends to run ford press on bearings and eliminate the C-clips if you want to take it that far. That's what I did with my 12 bolt.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no and maybe :D

maybe the really best thing to do is to get everything mocked up and measured so i have a clue about what i actually have and go from there...

i'll have ta get a lot of pics :D

James, you suggesting i possibly shave down the face of the axle? depending on the amount & thickness of axle that could very well be a possibility. thanks. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
no and maybe :D

maybe the really best thing to do is to get everything mocked up and measured so i have a clue about what i actually have and go from there...

i'll have ta get a lot of pics :D

James, you suggesting i possibly shave down the face of the axle? depending on the amount & thickness of axle that could very well be a possibility. thanks. ;)
I was think you could make the bushing from flat steel that fit in the bearing races and a piece of 1.250 cold rolled steel and you could anrrow your own housing. I bought the bar stock for about $35.00 and someone made the bushings for me. I used Moser large bearing Ford ends with GM brake offset axles and made my own length housing. No c-clips and a bigger bearing is more than you would need but a salvage yard set of Ford 9 bearing ends and aftermarket axles can be made to fit whatever width you need.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow James, that's cool right there... i'll have to kick that possibility around if i get to that stage. shouldn't be too too hard to get a jig made like that. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
287 Posts
At that point, why don't you just sell the 65 axle and pick up an 8.5 from a newer car to cut up?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts