Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to try and start up the motor after tearing it down to the short block, and now get a huge spark when I try to hook up the battery. The only wires altered during the dis/reassembly were the wires for the distributor.

I know if it sparks like that when hooking up the battery that either something is creating a large draw of amps, or is shorting out.

I THINK I found out what it was, but am not sure. Looks like the purple wire going to the starters solenoid had broken loose from the connector and might have been laying against the block or starter body. Would this likely cause this when hooking up the battery? :confused:

Is there power there without turning the key to accessory. :confused::confused: :beat:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not fix the wire and see what it does. Since you know the wire is off and it will need to be put back on that seems like a good place to start.
Because I need a new terminal end and don't have any in the proper size. I need to get a new one tomorrow and wanted to bounce my thoughts off of more knowledgeable people :yes:

It will be fixed, just have to wait until tuesday :(

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Sparks, sparks, and spark again?

Hey Now Bill/NoGo, Yes what you described can cause the spark at Battery connection. Also if the positive cable at the starter is touching any part of the starter housing, or touching either of the solenoid start/run terminals, the one you need to replace or the other small terminal. Its almost like jumping the terminals when your solenoid is going out or you are trying to hot wire your own car. Respectfully, "Bill's" II

1 - 6 of 6 Posts