Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i was hooking up the wiring under the hood… with plans to start my car for the first time with the new engine when i hit trouble.

double checking the wiring (after connecting my battery) i noticed the nut on the post on back of the alternator was a little loose.

i slid a small wrench behind it and tightened it, and the second i did i got a ton of sparks from that post and then a puff of white smoke from (i think) my dang brand new performance mini starter.

what happened?!

i could have sworn my wiring was correct, and i've got fresh batt cables and fresh clean grounds.

im pissed and confused!

·
Registered
670 Posts
So you must have grounded out the alt, which also is connected directly to the starter. Did you not remove the power wires from the battery first? :no:

Besides always removing battery cables before almost any repair. you need to check your alt and starter before hooking new cables back up. Take them to an auto parts store and have them tested, It could have been that the alternator was grounded internally through the post. But most likely the wrench did that.

·
Registered
407 Posts
it might be alright, just get them tested to be sure. even tho you have a lil extra work ahead of you now. I would think you have something wired wrong cause you should be able to touch that post without causing harm.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think the ring terminal on the starter post was very close to the ignition source spade terminal… im thinking they touched too.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Oh....not good

I hate doing anything around the alternator post. chances are you didn't do anything to the starter itself because the solenoid would be the only part grounded and depending on how long the sparks went on it may not be hurt either. That's the beauty of fusable links. I'm thinking the white smoke was from the wire insulation - not that I've EVER had that experience, oh, yeah, the '59 Corvette. It burned wires all the time.
Have both units checked out. BTW, you can buy the electrical components, like the diodes at NAPA and the install pretty easily. Instructions are all over YouTube.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i replaced the old style fusible link with the large white link rubber insulation thing with some new style fusible link WIRE i got from advance auto.

ive actually never seen this kind before… hopefully the nova likes it.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
check a couple things and lets see what we can figure out:

1. good batt. voltage
2. power to the ignition switch
3. power at the horn relay
4 firewall connectors in correctly
5. power at the starter

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright...i now have power at everything except the horn, including 12v at the dist... not sure what's up with the horn.its too late here to start it and break in the cam... hopefully it starts on my next day off!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
why check for power at the horn relay? what would that show? i mean… my horn isnt working now so i dont think im getting power to it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
There mite be more fuse link back down at the starter. Disconnect the battery again and inspect all fuse links. Sometimes the wire inside the fuse links burn and leave the insulation, so pull on all of them to see if they are open. A good wiring diagram will show you where all the fuse links are, if the wiring is factory.
I believe you trouble is open fuse link under the hood supplying power to the inside of your ride. Gary

·
Registered
86 Posts
why check for power at the horn relay? what would that show? i mean… my horn isnt working now so i dont think im getting power to it.

You should have 12 volts to your horn relay. Your horn relay helps complete a 12 volt circuit for your charging system. If I unhook mine I get nothing at all when I turn the key. Check to see if the 12 volt hot wire to your horn relay is hot. If not trace that wire back and you should find your problem. Keep everyone informed.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
i'll check that right now… as it is, im getting no power to the starter when i turn the key

i get power to the post on the horn relay. a full 12v. (11.9-12.1!).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Okay check it, once you have 12 volts to your horn relay is should turn over. I will wait online here for you for a few. Post your response.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i'll check that right now… as it is, im getting no power to the starter when i turn the key

i get power to the post on the horn relay. a full 12v. (11.9-12.1!).

Your positive cable off your battery should be supplying your starter with 12 volts automatically as the positive cable should run from your battery to your starter. Sounds like you have an issue with the start signal from the ignition switch wire. Hold on here I am going to post a picture of the wire you will need to check.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry, what i meant was.. the purple wire that goes to my "s" terminal on the starter isnt registering on my multimeter, with the key turned or otherwise.

im getting power to the distributor, im getting power at the horn relay. hmm..

1 - 20 of 55 Posts