Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the best plug wires out there i need them to not melt to the header like my last set and whats a good way to run them to clean up the engine bay

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I like the MSD 8.5, buy a 25ft bulk roll from Summit and save some money. With the terminals and boots you can custom fit the plug wires to your car as well.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
any silicone wire is going to melt.. it melting point is around 550 degrees....

you need headers or terminal ends that work properly....

generally SBC take a 90 degree boot, and BBC take 180 to 135 boots...

If your frying 90 degree boots on a SBC then you need to find a header that works!....

IF your frying the wire its self.... you may want to took at your routing plan

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I use $20 part store wires and found no difference between those and performance ones, had mallory side winders and they melted, you need short plugs and a decent set of looms and take your time to install. :)

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I melted plug wires several times until I got Accel shorty plugs and foil insulation for the boots.

Kev

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I use $20 part store wires and found no difference between those and performance ones
My car slowed 3/10's going from 10.4 Taylors to 8.5 MSD's; I think the problem is RFI related due to the way some of my wiring is routed--just changing back to the 10.4 coil wire brought my times back to where they were.
I still think Taylor makes one of the best wires on the market, but there are plenty of other good ones out there--just avoid the Accel yellow Super Stock wires if you have a burning issue; they tend to melt as you remove them from their package! I had a set on the junk 350, routed pretty well away from the headers, about 2 houses away from home it developed a miss....wires sagged from the little bit of heat in the engine and drooped so bad they were now laying on the headers and burnt through!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Taylor, MSD, Moroso, and Accel all make good wires as long as you get a spiral wound wire. The carbon "Suppression Core" stuff SUCKS and has an incredible amount of resistance!!

If they get on the headers.....ANY OF THEM WILL MELT!!!!!:yes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
educate me what is rfi? and i have the msd 8.5 wires and i really like them i guess i will get shorty plugs and a new set of the wires, what are the boot protecters? and how do you have yours loomed?
sorry for all the questions im a collage kid and dont want to have to keep buying wires

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
RFI= radio frequency interference

Boot Protectors are generally a fiberglass woven matte that slips over the plug boot...

Headers are the problem.. and the brand.... Headers like mine (headman 65019) I dont need any looms just one zip tie per side.. I have lots of room.... the summit racing header for SBC in the gen 3 cars has lots of room too...

you may have to rout your wires under neath? over top..

are you burning the boots or the wires them selves?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RFI= radio frequency interference

Boot Protectors are generally a fiberglass woven matte that slips over the plug boot...

Headers are the problem.. and the brand.... Headers like mine (headman 65019) I dont need any looms just one zip tie per side.. I have lots of room.... the summit racing header for SBC in the gen 3 cars has lots of room too...

you may have to rout your wires under neath? over top..

are you burning the boots or the wires them selves?
number 1 and 2 boot only the rest are fine no damage to the wires but it looks like an octopus is making love to my engine haha

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I have the taylor 409 wires. Nice enough. Havent melted them yet, did one of the end though. It was on the header, wrong headers, not the boots problem. But.... I would recommend these wires. They are pretty tough for the heat.

Problems??? Yes.. They are so fat that my pickup for the timing light wouldnt get a solid signal without forcing the clamp around the wire LOL Kinda a bitch really. Was the same for my craftsman and snap-on light, their clamps were designed for a standard wire OD. JR

http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products/pdfs/taylorcatalog6.pdf

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I have new Taylor's going on tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts