Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sbc 355 with 480 lift cam and vortec heads and currently running ac delco 14 plugs. i've been told i need to run a hotter plug. What would I need in this case? A buddy of mine gave me a set of NGK R5724-10 would these be ok to use or to hot of plug? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would try a set of e3 plugs made a big difference on my motor although not running a cam that big e3 company very helpful with help.i used them because i've seen on the performance car tv shows look at specs etc...there arre a lot of choices a little more info on the motor compression carb timming street or track car?etc...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the compression is around 9.5 to 1. Hei distributor, carb is 670 street avenger. the plugs dont look bad but cant get pictures untill tommorow.

·
Registered
214 Posts
E3s will work great what cylinder heads stock or worked? Year of motor and heads? Back to your original question. Why do you think you need a hotter plug if the plugs look good?

·
Registered
659 Posts
If they are grey or tan to almost white, and not black, then you're close. You want a plug that is hot enough to burn off deposits from the ground electrode, tip and core, but not so hot that when you run the car hard the tip gets so hot the metal expands and cracks the ceramic. If you put a stock for your car heat range plug in it, or maybe 1 heat range colder if you run the engine hard, you should be fine. I'd run a stock plug, Champion, NGK, AC, Motorcraft, Bosch are all good, reasonably priced and work well. Nice thing about Champion is they are still made in Burlington, IA. Get your tune and heat range right and you should be able to run a set of stock type plugs for 30K miles or more, which in my 350 hot rod Nova means forever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts