Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on LS1Tech Conversions and haven't gotten any responses - am I being overly concerned about nothing here?

My dual 11" Spal fans will not fit my application (66 Nova/LS1) because of the air intake - so I am going to order 2 single fans, probably 10" and stagger mount them. This is a candidate - p/n 2057 (http://www.the-fan-man.com/shop/size....html?cPath=33) - but it only pulls ~1070 cfm and draws 10 amps. I'm concerned that may not be enough. Plus I thought I saw a thread that some fans do not actually pull what they say they will.

So, are there specific Spal fans to avoid? Some better than others? I'd consider using fbody or something oem but I have to find something I can fit staggered, pass side down, and between the tanks (18-1/2" tall and 22-1/4" wide). -Bob

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
I can't remember the model # but my spal is 14-16in in diameter and pulls 22-2400 CFM this fan cools my 385 ci small block with 13-1 compression the engine has never seen over 200* I would never buy any other fan.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
I used the F-body staggered fans. I can measure them this evening of you like. I had to trim some off to get it to work, but it cooled the car down. Only one fan came on, the second one never did. I have a 160 stat, and it never got over 170 yesterday....it was about 95 outside here. Computer set to #1 on at 170, off at 160, and #2 on at 190, off at 180.....

T,

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes you are correct. I paid less than 100 bucks for mine, so far so good. IMO it's as good as anything out there, GM must have known something......
I could move my air intake to the drivers side but I was trying to keep it off the rad hose. By the way, the rad hose p/n's you sent me worked like a charm - had to have the BeCool radiator tubes changed (Ironworks took care of that) but it fits like a glove. Thanks.

Go ahead and measure the fans if you will - I'll still look into that. What year fbody fans do you have? -Bob

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will the fan out of a late model corvette work?
Do you have anymore info on the Vette fan? I kinda wanted to stick with dual fans but plans can change. I have a Mark VIII but its way to deep to fit - it hits my WP pulley and its already been trimmed down! -Bob

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
I could move my air intake to the drivers side but I was trying to keep it off the rad hose. By the way, the rad hose p/n's you sent me worked like a charm - had to have the BeCool radiator tubes changed (Ironworks took care of that) but it fits like a glove. Thanks.

Go ahead and measure the fans if you will - I'll still look into that. What year fbody fans do you have? -Bob
Glad the hoses worked, took a couple of trips to get that one nailed down. The fans are 1998 Camaro Z28.....there is a set on ebay right now up for bids, just search LS1......O'Reilley has the fan connectors, already polarized for about 6 bucks each..the fans run very quiet too, my previous fans sounded like a 747 taking off......

I had mine on the driver's side and changed it for that very reason....

I'll measure for you tonight....

T,

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Fans are 26" wide x 17" tall, and they stick out 4-1/4" to the back of the fan motor.....

I did a little trimming on the top and bottom to cut off some of the tabs and clean them up a bit, they were even a little wider, so I cleaned it up to get it close, not more than 1/2" on each side though....

T,

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fans are 26" wide x 17" tall, and they stick out 4-1/4" to the back of the fan motor.....T,
So you had room for the fans (pass side up) and the air intake? I'll have to measure my outside tank to tank but that woun't fit inside the tanks (~22-1/4"). Thanks Tom. -Bob

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Yep, had to trim the intake 90 about an inch or so to make the turn, but it worked.....it's right up against the fan.

Mine hangs over the ends a little, but not an issue IMO......the price was right, and they work great. I tried to stay all GM as much as possible, soley for replacement part availability.....

Here's a little better shot.....

T,

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
SPAL fans

I got my radiator and fans from Be Cool. The fans are SPAL slim designs and, according to the folks at Be Cool (Kirk), this is their standard setup for LSx Novas (unless you are going for blown or big turbo motors). As I hope you can see from the picture I don't think I'll have any clearance issues, even though the car is still in the test fit stage.
Give the folks at Be Cool a call. They were really great to work with.

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I got my radiator and fans from Be Cool. The fans are SPAL slim designs and, according to the folks at Be Cool (Kirk), this is their standard setup for LSx Novas (unless you are going for blown or big turbo motors). As I hope you can see from the picture I don't think I'll have any clearance issues, even though the car is still in the test fit stage.
Give the folks at Be Cool a call. They were really great to work with.
My radiator is a BeCool crossflow replacement - I looked on their website hoping to see something like that but didn't find anything - guess I need to give them a call. -Bob

Hmm, well tonight all of that stuff is there - don't know what happened the last time I visited their site.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called BeCool. #1 they don't make a fan/shroud for my model BeCool rad. #2 I was told the only thinline fan available was a single 16" (apparently not true given post above by memery), #3 they indicated no LSx/Nova package, #4 they said the dual 11" Spals I have now won't fit (yes they are a little wider but I could certainly cut them up and make them work - just not sure I want to), #5 they said to do dual fans I would have to send my rad back to them and they would custom make shroud, etc, #6 since I have a std BeCool rad why couldn't they design something from one of their own radiators in stock? Anyway, I came away from that discussion not terribly impressed. I guess I will order 2 fans (and not from BeCool) and make my own shroud at this point.

Memery, do you have another shot of yours a little more straight on so I can see how you did your shroud design? Thanks. -Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts