Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Does anyone have a source for the rubber seals used to hold the quarter glass? I will be getting rid of the vinyl top on my car eventually, which has the glass butyl taped/screwed in from the inside.

This is of course assuming the glass is the same size for both vinyl top and non vinyl top cars. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If you have the opera (cabriolet) windows I understand the setup is completely different and probably not replaceable. Someone else might know the details but what Ive seen looks alien. If its just vynil roof with a regular quarter window you are ready to go.

There are no sources of new rubber gaskets. Good news is most used ones are still pretty good. Have never seen an unusable one. Has to be compatible with either the 2- or the 3-piece molding setup you have (or desire) though.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks for the generous lead, but we 4th gen fans live in the darkest of dark ages regarding reproduction parts. Most 60's cars, even orphan brands, are in heaven regarding repro rubber compared to us... Now if he got NOS... that would be beautiful.

Just check this... the only common rubber for 4th gens is door weatherstrips, sedan trunk seal, and door handle gaskets. Thank heavens for that.

Glass run channels... only seen one vendor.
Beltline weatherstrips, one ebay vendor and one website
Hatchback weatherstrip... one vendor only
Door panel seals precut... one vendor only
Cowl to hood seal... not reproduced
Rear quarter glass gaskets, any type... not reproduced
Taillight gaskets, not reproduced
Mirror gaskets, not reproduced
Rear valance plastic, bumper plastic corners, not reproduced
Front plastic air dam, not reproduced.
Bumper impact strips and guards, not reproduced...

·
Registered
670 Posts
All the glass and rubber is the same under the Cabriolet/Landau tops as the regular tops. As Dlezama said, they are not reproduced and you can only get them from a donor.

Dlezama, check out this thread. I'm not aware of 2 or 3 piece seals as you mention. Can you elaborate? I thought all 4th gen quarter glass used one-piece seals, except for the pop-out windows.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154164

Carlp781, Sorry I never answered your question on there. There are no unfinished body seals. The car was in full primer before the top was put on. Holes were drilled around the window for the screws that hold the plastic insert. The drip rail has a break in it where the top comes around it. You can kind of see it in my picture filled in with goop. There are studs sticking out along the bottom edge of the window for the plastic insert. These issues must be taken care of if you want to ditch the top. You'll also need different interior moldings.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I've got new interior trim pieces already. Filling the screw plea won't be a problem either. The only hard part should be getting rid of the rest of the drip rail. But my cars got weld in subframe connectors and a roll bar, so it should be stiff enough not to flex and screw up any bodywork I do on that area. Ill have to keep my eye out for some new glass with rubbers.

Thanks for your help,
Carl

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks for the generous lead, but we 4th gen fans live in the darkest of dark ages regarding reproduction parts. Most 60's cars, even orphan brands, are in heaven regarding repro rubber compared to us... Now if he got NOS... that would be beautiful.

Just check this... the only common rubber for 4th gens is door weatherstrips, sedan trunk seal, and door handle gaskets. Thank heavens for that.

Glass run channels... only seen one vendor.
Beltline weatherstrips, one ebay vendor and one website
Hatchback weatherstrip... one vendor only
Door panel seals precut... one vendor only
Cowl to hood seal... not reproduced
Rear quarter glass gaskets, any type... not reproduced
Taillight gaskets, not reproduced
Mirror gaskets, not reproduced
Rear valance plastic, bumper plastic corners, not reproduced
Front plastic air dam, not reproduced.
Bumper impact strips and guards, not reproduced...
What Dlezama is referring to is some novas had 2 metal pieces painted body color in the rubber gasket and some had 3 pieces of polished trim in the gaskets.Their are grooves cut into the rubber that these metal pieces fit into.

·
Registered
582 Posts
What Dlezama is referring to is some novas had 2 metal pieces painted body color in the rubber gasket and some had 3 pieces of polished trim in the gaskets.Their are grooves cut into the rubber that these metal pieces fit into.
Yup. There are 2 types of gasket with either 2 or 3 grooves for the moldings.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This photo shows that the glass opening is the same for both types of car.

So I can make it work with my car if I find the rubbers.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
The type of gasket will depend on the type of moulding on the outside of your window. The chrome 3 piece moulding requires 1 type of gasket and the painted 2 piece requires another type rubber gasket. Maybe if you have the landau top it doesn't matter which type gasket you use.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ill take any gasket at this point. I'm taking the landau top off and keeping it off. With the landau top the glass is urethaned right to the run channel. Not rubber gasket involved.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Dlezama J&W Nova sells the tail light gaskets for the basic (what I call 2 square tail lights) and (the 3 square) Concours and Custom. They have never fixed their description of them in the catalog. they are listed by model years not trim levels. I bought mine N.O.S. years ago from a guy in a NNN ad who lived across Michigan from me.

Also Dlezama who are the "one vendor" in the other items you list?

Philip what are your thoughts on the gaskets? I always thought there was 2one with pop out 1/4s and one without.

Spencer 65 Nova your reference is John Piccola is it not ? His business caters to the 1st and 2nd gen Novas. I have talked to him about locating me some 4th gen stuff at NNN nationals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts