Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 63 Nova about a month ago. 496 BBC, turbo 350 with a 3,000 stall converter. TCI front end and rear springs moved about 3" in with 235-60-15's. A pretty nice looking car all around. Converted it to E-85 with a slightly bigger carb and first gear blows the tires off and spinning second gear silly for a ways. I need traction bad. Ordered up the Caltrac split mono leafs and bars. Kit arrives and the car goes on my lift.

Put the left spring on the front spring hanger and swung it up to bolt up to the rear shackle and the spring is 1 1/2" away from making the shackle. The spring is towards the outside of the shackle so, I am thinking they welded the spring perch on wrong.
Also, the spring perch on the axle does not have the centering hole and my 3 1/4" axle and U-bolts won't fit into the existing spring perch holes. Someone used a GM perch with the wrong U-bolt spacing and no centering hole. No problem, I will order up a set of spring perches and sliders then cut the old perches off, put on the sliders, set the rear end centered with the tires on and with weight on the springs, adjust pinion angle and start welding.

Got the spring perches today and got the left side set in place and went to the right side. OMFG the front spring hanger is welded in crooked so the rear of the spring is 7" too far to the inside of the shackle!!!!

Tomorrow I am going to cut the front spring hangers off, fab up new ones and get the rear end squared up and centered with the tires on it sitting on blocks. What I thought would be a 2 hr job is now a complete rear suspension re-do.

I just get pissed when people do a pretty decent job but F k up the simple stuff!!!!! How the hell can you weld up a spring 7" off????? And not see that???

Oh well, in the Jeg's box there was a Strange Eng. aluminum center section and a Innovate A/F meter. My little finger must of slipped when ordering LOL

Jim

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
You're having way too much fun! Just wondering, why such a tiny tire? You don't need to move the springs for a 235, and how do you expect to hook a 496 on them? And adding traction bars probably won't make much difference without a decent tire.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
When you buy a hotrod or racecar you get what you get. You just have to do what you need to so it becomes what you expect and want. The prior guy probably used rubber bushings and spring pads so alighnment was not critical. Be glad you got the money and skil to correct the issues unlike alot of people. Post up some pictures when you can. RM

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
How did the car even go straight ? While your down there and fabbing ,cut the wells and do a minitub ! hell you already have to make new spring boxes , may as well weld them in a few more inches ... weld in a rear crossmember and add some spring sliders ! Yah easier said than done i know .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're having way too much fun! Just wondering, why such a tiny tire? You don't need to move the springs for a 235, and how do you expect to hook a 496 on them? And adding traction bars probably won't make much difference without a decent tire.
Yeah, it is fun work but I just get really tired at the poor workmanship I see all the time. And I have to spend lots of time cutting welds and grinding when it could of been done within at least 1/2" the first time. FYI, I try to work within 1/16" and it's not that hard to do.

The 235's are the biggest that will fit with out a mini tub although I will probably go full tub this winter

Jim

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you buy a hotrod or racecar you get what you get. You just have to do what you need to so it becomes what you expect and want. The prior guy probably used rubber bushings and spring pads so alighnment was not critical. Be glad you got the money and skil to correct the issues unlike alot of people. Post up some pictures when you can. RM
Yes, there was rubber bushings and shackles but I would bet they had to use a come along to tweak things in place. I just don't understand how someone can spend hours under the car moving the springs in and the rear of the right side spring is 7" out of square or position?????? Stevie Wonder would of seen it!!!

Jim

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How did the car even go straight ? While your down there and fabbing ,cut the wells and do a minitub ! hell you already have to make new spring boxes , may as well weld them in a few more inches ... weld in a rear crossmember and add some spring sliders ! Yah easier said than done i know .
No clue how the car went straight but even spinning the tires big time it was straight. Think about this.
The left side spring was kicked OUT to the left 1 1/2" at the rear.
The right side spring was kicked IN to the left 7" at the rear.

I will do the front spring boxes tomorrow, get all the welding done and over the winter do a tub and rear cross member. I want to drive it now.

Don't get me started on the crappy job they did on the front spring box's which is where all the problems start really.

Jim

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
No clue how the car went straight but even spinning the tires big time it was straight. Think about this.
The left side spring was kicked OUT to the left 1 1/2" at the rear.
The right side spring was kicked IN to the left 7" at the rear.

I will do the front spring boxes tomorrow, get all the welding done and over the winter do a tub and rear cross member. I want to drive it now.

Don't get me started on the crappy job they did on the front spring box's which is where all the problems start really.

Jim
i hate to say this but i got 255-60-15s in my stock wheelwells and i have a 63 ss you may need to "change" the axle snubber though

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
i had

to re-do a bunch on my last one ,, sad part was , sold a 67 hard top that just needed some body work to get it ,,, if i had a do over ,, i would have kept my 67 hard top and done it myself

when i buy the nest one ,, i'm gonna put in on jack stands and get under it with a creeper for a while

1 - 9 of 9 Posts