Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP PLEASE!!!

My 79 Nova lost ALL electrical power and I can't figure it out. Battery is fine. Don't even have headlights. Is there a main fuse or relay? Hope somebody can help. Thanks

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Start from the B terminal on the starter and measure the voltage with a test lamp along the wiring. If you have 12v on your alternator, the fusible link to the battery is good. If you have 12v on your horn relay, the secondary fusible link is good. Next, check the light switch for 12v

http://www.novareference.com/manuals/Wiring/1979/79_Nova_wiring_left.jpg

·
Registered
869 Posts
Start from the B terminal on the starter and measure the voltage with a test lamp along the wiring. If you have 12v on your alternator, the fusible link to the battery is good. If you have 12v on your horn relay, the secondary fusible link is good. Next, check the light switch for 12v

http://www.novareference.com/manuals/Wiring/1979/79_Nova_wiring_left.jpg
If you can't find power under the hood check the junction box where it comes out of the firewall to make sure it's tight. If you lose connection there you lose all power to the front of the car. I think a 3/8 socket will fit it.

Also, check the connection on the battery. Hot and ground. If there is no connection at the battery there is no fire any where in the car.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I had the same thing,kinda. I tried to start car and it only cranked very little then everything went dead. It was as if there was no battery in the car. Checked for power on the starter post, nothing. I double checked battery and it was at 12.6. I disconnected cable from battery terminal and Ohm'ed it to starter post and it was good. Turned out that the battery lug was very corroded,but not the white powdery stuff. it seemed as if it had a non conductive coating on it. I replaced it and all is well now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts