Chevy Nova Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a question concerning converter choice. I understand the need to run the trans cooler with the higher stall, and know that the converter should be matched to such things as cam specs, and rear end gear. But what would be the effects of having too much stall speed? I am looking at picking a torque converter to run behind a "slightly warmed over" 283, but will only run that engine until rebuild of the 350 is complete. Nothing too outrageous, most likely with the Edelbrock Performer RPM package components. Just wondering what a good stall speed to look at might be so I don't have to replace the converter twice.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The actual rpm band of the 283 will be much higher than advertised, most advertise general cubes of around 350. Too high of a stall is like on a big block when you make 500# torque from 2000-4000 rpms and you have a 4000 stall. On a 283 you dont really have any torque so going too high shouldnt effect anything, unless you got a stock cam....and even then shouldnd hurt it.. It would be fun.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The actual rpm band of the 283 will be much higher than advertised, most advertise general cubes of around 350. Too high of a stall is like on a big block when you make 500# torque from 2000-4000 rpms and you have a 4000 stall. On a 283 you dont really have any torque so going too high shouldnt effect anything, unless you got a stock cam....and even then shouldnd hurt it.. It would be fun.
So what might be a good converter to run? I was originaly looking at the B&M Torkmaster 2000, but now maybe am thinking the Torkmaster 2400? Maybe even more so it will work better with the 350? What do you think?

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
USMCNOVA make sure your convertor will match the 350 you plan on installing. When you go to order the convertor tell the vendor the specs for the 350 and any other info they ask for. that should help you get a convertor that Will work well with your future motor.

While the 283 is in the car since it will likely have much less torque then the 350 will the convertor will act like it has less stall then it will when you have the 350 in the car. (stall is directly related to torque) Though it would not be ideal for the 283 it will work good enough until you can get the 350 in the car. Good luck

·
Registered
639 Posts
USMCNOVA make sure your convertor will match the 350 you plan on installing. When you go to order the convertor tell the vendor the specs for the 350 and any other info they ask for. that should help you get a convertor that Will work well with your future motor.

While the 283 is in the car since it will likely have much less torque then the 350 will the convertor will act like it has less stall then it will when you have the 350 in the car. (stall is directly related to torque) Though it would not be ideal for the 283 it will work good enough until you can get the 350 in the car. Good luck
69NovaSS, Thanks for the info. That will help out alot. I amm guessing with the Performer RPM package, 64cc aluminum heads, and matched cam to that package I should look at around a 3000 RPM stall speed or more. But will most certainly talk to the vendor. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
69NovaSS, Thanks for the info. That will help out alot. I amm guessing with the Performer RPM package, 64cc aluminum heads, and matched cam to that package I should look at around a 3000 RPM stall speed or more. But will most certainly talk to the vendor. Thanks again.
Your welcome.(NPHNP) They should ask stuff like the cam specs, rear diff gear, etc, etc, etc.......

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
B&M torkmaster converters are junk and not for modified engines. I had one last an hour before it sounded like a bunch of BBs in a bread pan. That was just a small cammed 350. I'd go with a TCI streetfighter, or their breakaway one at the least. If you dont get at least a 3000 stall you wont even feel it and it wont do anything for you.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
torque converter

ok i'm still stressing the whole what stall to go with and i cant sleep so i thought i would post.... but anyways i'm getting the th350 installed next friday and he said he wouldnt go anything bigger than a 2200 with that cam and everyone on here recs a 2800 or a 3000 correct? and he said he had a 3000 at hs shop that i could use but he doesnt think its a good idea i know or think that the torque converter will help a lot with a 1/4 mile time how much time do you think the difference would be and what do you guys think about the idea of the 2200 -thanks

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
if you like the feel of a good hard shift go with the 2200, the 3000 will soften your shift kit, i had a 11" 2400 and it would only stall to 2000 in my 350 with a 222 degree @ .050 cam (2400-5400 power band) . my 10" 3000 stall only went to 2500 with a [email protected] cam (3200-6200) so small blocks stall at the low side of a convertors range, the 3000 will make more heat with that small gear, so its a matter of taste. if it was my car i would go for the 2200 just because of the shift kit and i would get 3.55 gear with that cam.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Anything under 3000 stall will drive like stock and not even be noticable to anyone other than you because you know you put it in. When I built my first engine I ran into all those skeptics also....."thats way too big" Turns out the torkmaster i baught was junk and like stock, I went with a TCI breakaway in a cammed 350, and it was pretty good. I'll never go under 3500 again though, unless its a turbo application where things are a little different.
2200 stall would probably make no difference in the 1/4, if you want a difference get a good converter. You can run a big stall on the street and it drives normal. They dont rev like in neutral and then hit at the stall speed. You can take your foot off the gas and it will roll and you can start out slow and go normal. Its when you mash the gas is when it flashes to the stall speed.
If your cam is to 2000-6000 power band, even a 3500 stall is good, then your dead into your power when it hits. And most the time you need to get up to that to get it motivated.
If the guy is telling you a 3000 is WAY too big, I'd question if he knows the slightest of what hes talking about. If you had a big block with 500# tq then you can afford to go smaller. But you have a 350, right?
350+small or mild cam= minimum 3000 stall.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
i prefer a flash higher in the power band. if your motor is making power from 2500-6000 then i would get a 3500. you want to get the rpms up in the power band for a better launch.. imo

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I run a 3800-4000 stall in mine. It's probably a little much, but it sure does get up and go! As others have said, you can't really tell it's there until you mash the gas.

Kev

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I'd got higher than that 2200...I put a holeshot 2,000 in my '72 w/ mild 350 and was a little disappointed. I could tell the difference over stock--but a bit more would be nice.

IIRC this is mostly a street driven car (daily driver?)
If that's the case, I'd comprimise a little between best converter for acceleration vs. driveability/reduced heat of a lower stall.

A converter advertised at 3,000 will probably stall around 2,500-2,600 behind your 350 in your fairly light nova...Like in your last post, I'd say that 2,500 or so would be a great compromise for a daily driver....

I wouldn't want a true 3,000-3,2000 in my nova. I do a lot of highway/freeway driving between 2,500-3,000 and having that converter slipping for prolonged periods like that creates a LOT of heat.

Make sure you get a good (large) tranny cooler, as I've seen a lot of transmissions die because of the excessive heat of high-stall converters.
Just my opinion, YMMV.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I Had a 4800 stall in my nova drove it on the highway every day to work. If you want your tranny to last get a huge cooler regardless if you have a stall or not. And Do NOT use the cooler in the radiator, eliminate it all together, that is a heater for the tranny fluid since your radiator coolant is 180+.
Overheating is the number 1 reason for auto tranny failure.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I use an 8" 6000 rpm in mine; have for many years. 2 Power Tours, cruising in traffic, you name it, no problems. But then, I do things a little different than some.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Stall converters

I'm a little confused on stall converters. How do you determine the correct stall converter for particular application? Is it based on HP of the engine?
I'm confused and would like more info. Thanks

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm a little confused on stall converters. How do you determine the correct stall converter for particular application? Is it based on HP of the engine?
I'm confused and would like more info. Thanks
there is lots of information out there on this - search the internet. It is not based on horsepower, rather it is based on the performance RPM range of your engine setup and where that range starts - determined largely by the cam. For example, if your cam has a performance range from like 2500 to 5500 rpm, you want a stall converter with a "stall" rating of about 2500. If you have a racing engine (high rpm most of the time) with a racing cam, and a performance rpm range of 4000 to 6500, then you need a converter with a stall rating of 4000.

also, big block engines have more torque, and therefore will engage the torque converter "earlier" than the equivalent HP small block motor would. So if you have a big block, you will want a converter with a slightly higher stall rating than a small block with the same HP.

that's my understanding anyway.

Most street performance cars have converters with stall ratings of about 2500 to 3000. Most drag racing cars have stall ratings of like 4000 and higher.

also seems like the higher the rating the more expensive it is.

Lee

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Thanks for the info. My engine is the GM Performance HO 350 330 HP
Based on what you said, I would be better off with a 2500 stall. Is that correct? I do have all of the specs on the engine. They are listed on GMs web site. I also had my car dynoed last year and it is what it is:) Thanks for the help

81 - 100 of 101 Posts