Chevy Nova Forum banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
set for 3700stall and it is a 10inch 350 converter
Set for 3700 stall behind what motor? That thing could stall at 3000 behind your motor or 4000...who knows? Is that 3700 true stall with a transbrake or flash stall?

My $.02 says you don't wanna skimp on a converter.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Vega Converter

yES THEY WERE fACTORY gm VEGA converters. Behind a sbc chevy you could get about 2500 stall. Normally used on small 4 cylinder motors that need to rev to get moving...lol. They came with a heat shield tack welded to the front pump facing area.

I did use one on the street when I did not know anybetter year ago. It actually did work and it servived. Again you are throwing the dice each time.

Now as for rebuilding it...??? It is possible. I just do not know what to tell you on this. How well do you know the guys where was it done? etc. Ask alot of questions and if the asnswer do not add up or you do not get them...Skip it and move on. All depends on the price and how NEW your tranny is. I would not chance it on a new tranny. Just my thoughts. Take or leave it. Jim >Happy Holidays<

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Wow, did these things slip like crazy on the high end? How efficient were these things?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I used one behind a 461 and after 10 passes it would stall about any where you wanted it too. I can remember leaving at 4000, shifting at 7000, and the rpm would drop maybe to 6000 after a shift - efficient they were not, but they were cheap and plentiflul back then.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Being the cheap SOB that I am, low cost parts are my specialty. The torque converter is one area where I would say to spend as much as you can afford.
I use a Munsinger(of course I got it used for $200!) they are around $700+ new, but if you give Mike all the correct info on your combo, he can build one to do just what you want it to do.
When I bought my used one, I called to ask him about what the stall would be--after I gave him all the info, he said it should be about 6000 rpm. When I put it in the car, it went to 6200--a lot closer than most converter builders I've seen.
I've run cheap converters before and all I can say is, DON'T, you'll be happier in the long run if you spend the money once on a good one.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but, what about Redneck converters, are they any good? Anybody using them?
I have one of them in my car. It seems to work Ok for me. I plan on using it in the T-400 this spring. I'm running it in a glide now. It spins the tires right at 3000 and flashes right at 3500. It does exactly what they said it would. Dave (DriveWFO) had one in his car for a while.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but, what about Redneck converters, are they any good? Anybody using them?
I have talked to them a few times and he said he can tailor a converter to my application, he even gave the code to use if I buy it on ebay so that he can change it up for my car compared to the one I buy. He is a very nice guy and is about 2 hours away from me.. I will probably be using them since they have such a good warranty, price and guarntee of what it will do.

I was asking about the vega one b/c it was very cheap, but I will be getting the redneck most likely since he will make it for my car for the same 255 he quotes on ebay..

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Does the Glide have a TH input shaft or vice versa?
Yes I had a hardened Turbo splined input shaft installed durning the rebuild. The turbo convertors are cheaper, easier to find and they input shafts are stronger.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Every converter is a 'stall' converter, some will stall the engine at a greater rpm than others. If you are selecting a converter you will want to talk to a converter manufacturer about your engine and chassis specifications and the projected usage of your car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got a Hughes GM25 which should stall around 2500 rpm. It's behind a 350 hp 350 sb with a very streetable cam and actually flashes around 2200 rpm. It's also pretty affordable...$180.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
What engine size, cam, compression, gears, car weight, intake, carb??

My 3400lbs Nova with 3.50 gears and a 377 ran a 4800 stall and drove it as a daily driver. And it drove around almost like stock.

For anything unless you have a turbo car I would not get less than 3500 stall. Anything under that you wont feel much or even notice a whole lot. And everyone I know thats gotten a smaller one than that sold it and went bigger.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Every converter is a 'stall' converter, some will stall the engine at a greater rpm than others. If you are selecting a converter you will want to talk to a converter manufacturer about your engine and chassis specifications and the projected usage of your car.
I think Mike is dead on.Talk to a manufactor and give them your specs.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Look into a company called Redneck Performance Transmissions out of Texas. I think they have an Ebay store, but I bought my 3000 stall from them and I am very happy with it. It can handle up to 800hp and it has an anti ballooning plate for nitrous applications. And it only cost me about $300.00.

Check it out. :D

61 - 80 of 101 Posts