Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started working on the car again. I need to get the rest of the trunk pan out to put the new piece in.Thats what I will be replacing first before the wells and quarters. I wish I had a plasma cutter. Cut off wheels work but very slow going. Maybe thats a good thing:rolleyes:

steves 70SS

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trunk

Hope to have it out by the end of the week:yes: Missed a plasma cutter yesterday for $200:mad: Back to the grinder.

steves70SS

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More Cutting

I spent a couple more hours this morning cutting more of the pan out. When I first started cutting I thought I would have it out in a couple of hours. WRONG!!!. There is alot of metal and a ton of spot welds. I'm making progress though. Little at a time.:yes:

Steves70SS

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ill be following along. Im going to be doing the exact same thing as soon as I save up for a new trunk pan, frame rail and cross member.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trunk pan

Yes, The whole floor is going to be replaced. I bought mine from AMD. It has the braces and gas tank strap supports all welded in when you get it. Nice piece. I will post a pic this week.

steves70SS

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
they are a great with all the braces and supports:yes:heavy!:yes:Fun to put in by yourself:no:after i got mine in i sat in that damn trunk and drank a beer or two:D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, The whole floor is going to be replaced. I bought mine from AMD. It has the braces and gas tank strap supports all welded in when you get it. Nice piece. I will post a pic this week.

steves70SS
Thats good to know, by the picture it doesnt look like the tank supports are included. Look forward to your progress!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Getting close

Spent three more hours tonight after work cutting more out. Getting closer but lots left. Once its out I will smooth out the top of the rails, Wire wheel everything and give it a coat of primer. I'm thinking I will drill holes in the rails every 5-6 inches so I can weld from the bottom up the same as the spot welds.

Steves70SS

new Pan

·
Registered
171 Posts
:eek::eek: Thats a scary sight! Im still dreading the day I have to do this but my driver frame rail also needs replacing. Looks like youre doing a great job though, keep it up!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
trunk

Thanks for the replys. Went to harbor freight today for cut off wheels and they ran out. Getting more this weekend. I will try some other places. I know why this job would cost so much if I had to bring it some where.:yes:. I also know why body shops really don't like to touch this stuff as it's takes alot of time. I will post as I move on.

Steves70SS

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
Steve,,,FWIW...I have bought cut off wheels at HF and also a local tool place, and they seemed to burn right up. Altho Sears is not real handy, the wheels they had would last longer.

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
Steve,,,FWIW...I have bought cut off wheels at HF and also a local tool place, and they seemed to burn right up. Altho Sears is not real handy, the wheels they had would last longer.
i agree Don. the cheep wheels dont last as long. seems ya get what you pay for. at least for me it is.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cut off wheels

Don, I went to HF today after work and bought three packs of ten. I will check Sears next time around. Thanks for the insight:yes: The HF ones do burn up fast if you push them hard:mad:

steve

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally Out!

After 4 more hours today I finally have it out! I can tell you that this was no easy task! I know why body shops don't want to touch this stuff:no:.I don't know what the cost would be to have a shop do it but I'm thinking around $1200-1500 complete sounds like a deal:yes:.Now that it's out I will have to clean it all up and drill the holes in the frame rails to weld. I did notice a twist in the rails after I was done. I put it up on jack stands after I was done and lowered the rear end down slow on the wheels just enough to make it straight again so when the new pan goes in it will be straight.Would I want to do it again:confused: NO! I will post as I go along.

Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts