Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on the body of my nova and have a few questions.

1. Starting with bare metal. When I apply epoxy can I do a couple of coats let it flash and do my high build in the same day. I am thinking 2 coats of epoxy and 3 or 4 coats of high build. Can this be done in the same day?

2. After the high build and blocking is done can I just thin epoxy following the tech sheet and shoot it for a sealer then bc/cc over this in the same day?

3. Looking for a dark blue metallic color for a possibility. I have seen a trailblazer color that I like. Anybody know where I can get a paint code? I also like BMW deep sea blue metallic. Can I just go into my paint store with a name and expect them to be able to find it? Any other suggestions on a nice dark blue? I am still in the deciding process. May not even go metallic. Don't know yet.

4. I am doing jambs and the body of the car. Hood and trunk lid top and bottom. Engine compartment, trunk, and underside are already painted. How much basecoat do I need?

5.If I do paint a metallic do all the body panels need to be in place? I have the doors trunk and hood off the car. Can I just paint them off of the car in the orientation they will be going on or do they have to be put on to paint?

This will be my first paint job. I think it should go well. I have been reading up on here but still had a few questions.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Does your car not need any body filler work? When you say you are starting with bare metal do you mean with the filler work done already? Otherwise there would be no point in shooting High build primer over the epoxy. But you answer your question, yes you can shoot epoxy let it flash and then shoot high build on top of that. And yes you can also shoot your epoxy as a sealer and shoot base right on top after it flashes. For a first time paint job I would have all the panels on the car. To many things can go wrong for you painting it in pieces.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does your car not need any body filler work? When you say you are starting with bare metal do you mean with the filler work done already? Otherwise there would be no point in shooting High build primer over the epoxy. But you answer your question, yes you can shoot epoxy let it flash and then shoot high build on top of that. And yes you can also shoot your epoxy as a sealer and shoot base right on top after it flashes. For a first time paint job I would have all the panels on the car. To many things can go wrong for you painting it in pieces.
Yes. Filler work will be done already. So your saying if I just do my filler work and block that out and then epoxy I don't need to high build and then block? And you think it would be easier to do the jambs and reinstall hood, trunk, and doors and then shoot the paint? If I do this I would have to do the underside of the hood and trunk, door jambs and trunk and hood openings in bc/cc and then reinstall and shoot the whole car. Think it will be easier for me this way?

·
Registered
122 Posts
No, you still need the high build.. Sorry for confusing you.. Finish your filler work, spray 2 coats of epoxy. After that flashes spray your high build. Then block, seal with epoxy and spray base. Usually I spray cars apart metallic and solid. But being this is your first attempt I would suggest that you paint all your jambs and then assemble the car and spray the outside panels all at once.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I think all of my questions have been answered except how much basecoat I will need. Anybody?

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Just a bit of advice and you can take it for what it's worth...I would check your tech sheets for the products you are using, some epoxy you can not go wet on wet with a urethane primer...you might have to scuff the epoxy. You are relying on chemical cross link between your epoxy and the high build...if there is no compatibility you might have adhesion issues. As far as sprayable product... 7oz sprayable ( all components mixed together ) per major body panel will get you close.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Epoxy will be MP170 and high build will be MP282SV. These are PPG numbers. On the tech sheet for the high build the MP170 is one of the compatible surfaces. Does this mean it can be shot on wet?

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Epoxy will be MP170 and high build will be MP282SV. These are PPG numbers. On the tech sheet for the high build the MP170 is one of the compatible surfaces. Does this mean it can be shot on wet?
Looks like you are good to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts