Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am still in the planning stages and want to get a better idea of things before I move forward. Truth be told, I don't even have a nova yet! :) In any case, I am trying to plan as best I can so that when I do get the car and start the swap, I can keep the down time to a minimum.

I have been doing some searching through the forums but I still have a few questions.

I plan to start with a 62-65 4dr 6cyl

Here is the loose plan so far:

-5.3L engine from the wrecker
-4L65E transmission controlled by factory computer

What are the best motor mounts and tranny mount to use? I am not opposed to modifying something a little to make it work if it will save some $$

I plan on running the Church headers since I will keep the front end stock due to budget. Is there any other option besides making up a custom exhaust from the headers back?

-Mod the harness myself.

I have watched a couple videos on it and it seems like something I can handle.

-Use a Tanks Inc. fuel tank insert pump with a corvette regulator.

What size fuel line will I need to run to the front for that? This seems like one of the more reasonably priced setups, is there a better option?

I am still a little confused as to what is the best option for a gas pedal. Any suggestions?

What else am I forgetting? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appeciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
How are your fabrication skills and tool selection?

You did not mention needing to do this on a budget, which is really good, because it's not budget friendly.

Use the factory Drive-By-Wire throttle/Gas pedal, be certain to get the TAC controller from the same truck as the engine/harness/trans/oxygen sensors, everything.

If your going with Chuck Church Headers, then you should pick up the phone and call him and get the straight scoop on engine mounts and any other items that your going to have to change.

Unless your really comfortable with reworking the harness, I would suggest that you buy one and a matching computer for YOUR engine combination.

As for fuel line, use the Factory type Nylon EFI, available online or from your local custom hose maker (where I got mine done).

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How are your fabrication skills and tool selection?
I would say I have pretty decent fabrication skill and a limited but growing tool selection. Anything that I don't have that I might need, I can definitely borrow.

You did not mention needing to do this on a budget, which is really good, because it's not budget friendly.
Well, I am on a budget. Compared to a traditional sbc build, I do not think this will be super expensive for the same end result. I am thinking $2-3k should do it.

Unless your really comfortable with reworking the harness, I would suggest that you buy one and a matching computer for YOUR engine combination.
I am not super comfortable doing this but I am willing to give it a shot to save a few hundred bucks. I am going to have it tuned at a place nearby anyway so I am just left with modifying the harness.

As for fuel line, use the Factory type Nylon EFI, available online or from your local custom hose maker (where I got mine done).
Awesome! Thank you so much for all your advice. I really appreciate it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts