Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a reminder from the other threads i had: i'm not looking for a show car, just looking to get the car one color without rattlecanning it. just finish it off relatively smooth, and end the field car look i've been sporting for years lol.

http://web.njit.edu/~gag0046/childslapping/door-moulding.JPG

^^^ in this pic, is this what we call the drip rail moulding? it looks like it's been banged in by a table or something, i don't know. i was thinking about removing it so i could bang it back into shape somehow... so i removed the four screws behind it and gave it some tugs, but it won't come off. what do you guys think i should try to get it off? is there a special angle i have to pull at? or?

http://web.njit.edu/~gag0046/childslapping/rear_wheel_arch.JPG
http://web.njit.edu/~gag0046/childslapping/wheel_arches.JPG

^^^ these next pics will show you the front and rear arches on the passenger side. i was thinking of stripping to bare metal, then using bondo. would it be strong enough and/or stick? i was thinking of putting a rivet or bolt in there to give the bondo something to hang on to. again, what do you guys think i should do?

·
3,875 Posts
The drip rail is part of the sheetmetal. You will need a cutoff wheel or a torch to get it off.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Repair it or there goes your headliner! I would suggest if you cut it off to do it in stages so your roof doesn,t warp! Cut a bit maybe a few inches then tack weld the pieces behind where driprail is cut and so on.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you're saying that I should cut off that drip rail, reshape it, then weld back on to repair it?

What were the four screws for behind it for?

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
If I remember right the front section of the drip rail is removable. There are 4 screws that attch it but it also has some sort of adhesive tape that is super sticky under it. See if you can pry it in the area it is bent already to see if it won't come loose. RM

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, hope you're right... i already had the screws out, i'll try a pry bar and more elbow grease tonight.

·
6,557 Posts
burningsquirrels said:
well, hope you're right... i already had the screws out, i'll try a pry bar and more elbow grease tonight.
Those on my 74 did come off and I know on yours they are getting replaced but I used some putty knifes to get between the pillar and the drip rail section and slowly worked it loose. Mine did have about a 1-2" wide adhesive strip on it. I would worry about getting too aggressive with something and damaging the pillar itself.
The screws on mine were very small headed phillips and fairly short in length. When you put the new ones on also add some glue or an adhesive strip so you don't have water leakage problems later.
Jim

·
Registered
461 Posts
don't do it

:eek: those pieces are removeable as stated. i have a 71 and removed them to paint car. there is body sealer on the back (sometime refered to as dum dum). you may have to work it loose carefully as the metal is just sheetmetal and bends easily. work slowly and it will come off:) don't torch it

·
3,875 Posts
Learn something new every day. I did not know they came off. It's probably the only piece I did not take off (or attempt to take off) during my rebuild.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i looked at it and smacked it once with a hammer from behind. the whole front 2/3rds came off on that one blow, lol. then used a crowbar to remove the rest. i spent about 10 minutes with a hammer and dolly both on the pillar and the drip rail, it's looking a lot better, but i need to put more time into it tomorrow. i'll try to post a before/after pic.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
talk about learning something new

I've tried in the past to remove that part...took out the screws...pulled and tugged at the part and it never came off so I just assumed it doesnt come off...but I always wondered "why then did the General put screws in a part that doesnt come off???"....I will have to look at this again cause I would like to take it off...thanks for the info guys...Love this site;) :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts