Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever noticed a very small for lack of a better word dent in the face of your solid lifters? The lifters are brand new. This looks like maybe a .015 across slight dent. I have had these lifters for a while and noticed this. Its not an EDM hole although there was one EDM lifter mixed in the bunch I have.

I was going to get at least one replacement for the EDM lifter but I may end up buying another set.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Flat tappet lifters aren't flat at all but have a slightly spherical bottom. If your lifters are visibly concave then there is something wrong.
Are these from a brand name source (like Summit or Jegs) or from a third party seller like EBAY?

If you bought a set at "good deal", my guess is they are used and weren't broken in properly.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said brand new. The company is Crane the dent is .015" this is on every lifter they have never touched the lobe of a camshaft. If you look at the face of the lifters it looks like someone took a small punch and peened a dent in them.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
there should be a .002" on the radi or crown of the lobe face... for a total of .004". the lobe face should be convex, not concave....

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The dent could be a inspectors way to declare a defect, not pass inspection.

With Crane Cams going bank rump and sold of piece by piece. Your gonna see a lot of seconds & defects hitting the street!

Al

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your right about that Al. I have had these lifters set back for over two years. Who knows I guess I will just buy another set dammit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts