Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Barry White's shop, SRRC (Street Rod Repair Company) does very nice work. He was in Placentia in the Primedia building but think he may of moved from what I've seen on his TV show, but he's still in the LA area. I'm sure Barry could recommend some shops for you. You can get his number out of most of the street rod rags.

·
Registered
399 Posts
novanutcase said:
Can anyone recommend a good body shop in SoCal, preferably in Los Angeles, that does show quality work?
I also reccomend Barry's Shop. He's now in Corona. If you need a phone or address, let me know. I know it's a slight distance from L.A. but he's worth it. A show paint job is a big decision, (you get what you pay for), enough said. Barry now has a full time painter, his name is Tony, great guy. Tell him that I sent you. I have pictures of my 66 that Tony painted if you want to see his work.

Tom

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Talk to the Torch about the shop that did the Flyer. He may or maynot recommend it. But the car sure looks AWSOME.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Thanks again for all the replies:

Seattle Mike: Thanks for the Recommendation!
Tom 95: Thanks also and, Yes. I would love to see pictures of your ride!
Nightshade: Gonna go rattle Flyers cage!:)
Supersport: Thanks I'll check them out!

Have any of you heard of the following and, if you have, what do you think!

Body Palace - Huntington Beach
Lanzinis - H.B.
Santini - Westminster
Sals - Inglewood
Rons Vintage - Willows
Mahoods - Stanton

Thanks again and I would still welcome more suggestions!:)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
thanks for the nod, Jonesy... the shop that did the number on my project is no longer owned by the same people... it was for a short time taken over by one of the guys who did close ta 50 % of the work on the Flyer... but just a month or 2 ago... his "partner" bought him out...

i no longer know the quality of work the shop does... nor do i recommend them... they still owe me work... and it ain't gonna come through...

i forwarded yer PM to a couple members i mentioned in the message... maybe they can be of assistance...

i wish ya the best...

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I've heard that Lanzini's and Mahood's both do qualitywork. Keith (used to be Boyd's painter in the hayday when Foose was also there) painted my car and had a shop in Stanton but he closed down and moved somewhere up here in the Seattle area. Since you are down that way, I'd also highly recommend Gabe Lopez (Gabe's Custom Interiors) if you are getting an interior done. He's out in Bloomington.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Now Now Gentlemen.......put them fangs away!!!! I was thinking about my body shop dilemma and I heard through some other forums that there is a shop in Auburn, Washington that does GREAT Nova work. In fact, I am told, they did Ted and Sue Richardsons SMOTY '67 Nova. Does enyone know what the shop is called. I figure that if Wayne Due is going to bend the frame up in Seattle and they are in Auburn, why not have them do it. What do you think?:)

I just found the name, I think! I think they are called Streetworks. Does anyone know there web address?

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
novanutcase said:
Now Now Gentlemen.......put them fangs away!!!! I was thinking about my body shop dilemma and I heard through some other forums that there is a shop in Auburn, Washington that does GREAT Nova work. In fact, I am told, they did Ted and Sue Richardsons SMOTY '67 Nova. Does enyone know what the shop is called. I figure that if Wayne Due is going to bend the frame up in Seattle and they are in Auburn, why not have them do it. What do you think?:)
Big dollars to have this kind of work done!I hope you are prepared to spend upwards of 20-30k to have a custom frame bent and a top notch paint job.bm

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YUP.....already got it on the spreadsheet. I've always wanted a '66 Nova so this is going to be a keeper! Don't want to sell it! Ever! I'll probably be buried in it! I've never owned a "new" car and have always bought old classics and fixed them up. I figure, at the rate I'm going, I probably never will so this is my chance at making the "dream car I've always wanted. F#@k the BMW 7 series! I'm building my own BMW! I also own a '61 T-Bird that I drive daily. I get more compliments and satisfaction out of it than my friends who own BMW's and Benz's. And I don't have to pay the monthly nut that they do in both car loan and insurance! Yeah sure my MPG is more like GPM but I figure what I pay in gas is a fraction of the cost of what they pay in the abovementioned costs so this is part of my motivation for this project.:beer:

·
Registered
327 Posts
The shop in Auburn closed a few years ago. No more Streetworks. One of the owners got out of Novas. I bought his 65 wagon, another menber picked up his first gen post car, and he still had a SS convert that needed restoration.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Streetworks is NOT closed... it's changed hands three times (I know the first two owners but not the new guys). They are more involved in selling parts now. They never did any painting...it was always farmed out to various people in the area.

The blue Nova that was Street Machine of the Year was painted by Jon Byers in Auburn, WA http://www.byerscustom.com/ Jon does an excellent job and is one of if not the best painters in the Northwest. As of a couple of years ago, a complete show quality paintjob was about $20K.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you say "complete" are you talking replacing quarters, rockers, windshield and backglass rot areas, doing some moderate fabbing, etc. or is this just some moderate body work, block sand and paint? I'm going to take a bunch of photos of the body now that I have it mostly stripped to metal. This way I can show whoever is going to do the body work what they have to work with.:)

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
novanutcase said:
When you say "complete" are you talking replacing quarters, rockers, windshield and backglass rot areas, doing some moderate fabbing, etc. or is this just some moderate body work, block sand and paint? I'm going to take a bunch of photos of the body now that I have it mostly stripped to metal. This way I can show whoever is going to do the body work what they have to work with.:)
I would think mild to moderate body work block it and paint it(3 stage).Show quality body work cost big dollars.Since your in socal I would really look at Barry White SRRC.http://www.barrywhitesrrc.com/home.html
Ps if you have that much rot you're better off starting with a better car.Its cheaper to buy a nice starter car then have that kind of body work done.bm

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
If you have to replace quarter panels, winshield area, rear glass area etc. you are better off buying another body that isn't in such rough shape. They should make everything laser straight and should include a show quality cut & buff which can be the difference between an average and a show quality paint job.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh No! It's not that bad! Basically I have some rot around the driverside, in front of the rocker panel at the bottom of the cowl and the usual rot around the window rims. The A-pillars probably need to be replaced but for what I got it for it would be worth doing all that work. I may need to replace one of the quarters since the person who replaced it before me didn't do such a hot job on it but I still feel it's worth doing although I am going to post some pics once I am done and you all can give me your opinions.:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts