Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
.Back in 1990 I started work at ASU with another new guy who’s name was Bob.
The guy who ran the warehouse couldn’t remember my name so when we both went in there he would say hey it’s Bob and Rebob . My names Rick but the name stuck so half the people called me that for 25 years. Also use it on other forums 😎

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
.Back in 1990 I started work at ASU with another new guy who’s name was Bob.
The guy who ran the warehouse couldn’t remember my name so when we both went in there he would say hey it’s Bob and Rebob . My names Rick but the name stuck so half the people called me that for 25 years. Also use it on other forums 😎
Hahaha! Best part is it's not even your name but that's how things stick.
For example (pause while I double check to make sure this is the BS Section. -wouldn't want to waste space on a tech thread) my given name is Thomas. Nickname Tim. Tim has stuck like a wart on my azz since I was born and has caused lots of confusion, like J Mark's does, over the years. After about 30 years, I finally gave up and answer to just about anything. I even get called Rick (true story).

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Hahaha! Best part is it's not even your name but that's how things stick.
For example (pause while I double check to make sure this is the BS Section. -wouldn't want to waste space on a tech thread) my given name is Thomas. Nickname Tim. Tim has stuck like a wart on my azz since I was born and has caused lots of confusion, like J Mark's does, over the years. After about 30 years, I finally gave up and answer to just about anything. I even get called Rick (true story).
The first 6 years of my life I thought my name was S...head

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
J is my first name, it's just the letter and doesn't represent any name.
I hear ya . . . Mark . . . , at my job , another mechanic at the 'Mine Shop' . . . . had 4 names ; never did ask how that worked-out for him . I was always glad that I wasn't a " Jr. / or / 2nd / or / 3rd " somebody ……...
Then, in High School - I knew a guy that had no first or second name . . . . . . . . . he was just C A Tice
and, that was always a pain .

"Partridge" . . . . . . . . is crazy enough for me . . . . . . . let's not even talk " Christmas Time " ; or ,
" Pear - Trees " . . . . . . . "Or Do You still have that Bus" . . . . . . . . I'm just saying ………….

So, I have 3 sons (by my 1st marriage) …………. they Always went by their middle - names , while
growing-up ……………………….. but, everybody wants your 'First name' ( most of the time , I never know who people are talking about : for about the 1st ten minutes ……… true .

and, I'm still in-a-cloud . . . . jim

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
There was a period during my working career that we only addressed each other by our "nicknames"... and within 5-10 minutes of meeting someone new, they were given a nickname.

At some point during this period, we had a new vendor visit our office one day and within a few minutes we renamed him "Moon Pie"... but never told the vendor his given nickname since we did not know him that well. BUT... whenever we had a discussion in the office that referenced this particular vendor, we always called him Moon Pie.

So fast forward to a future meeting that involved several people that included this vendor and some of the company executives. One of the VPs of Marketing addressed this vendor as "Moon Pie"... since that was the only name they had ever heard. The vendor looked a little confused. We all thought it was hilarious!

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Mike .. . . . . we would do that . . . . quite awhile back , the company sent a 'crew over towards Parker , Az
to help out on one of the two "Ball -Mills" they had at "CopperStone" Gold mine. This place was mid-way between Parker & Quartsite on Hwy 95 . This OLD mill was 'cracked on the discharge-end of the main
housing = = = a really big job , and, long story. Anyway, we did not know any of these employees . . . . . . so, we would give them "names" . The "Tech-Rep" from the welding company , & the "Rep" - overseeing the
repairs....….. We Called them guys "Wallace & Ladmo" : the two labor girls - we called " Betty & Wilma "
(sung too th' tune of "Fred & Barney" ) ……………………. none of them had a clue .
Thanks for the memories . . . . .

Oh . . . . about a year later . . . . "CopperStone calls over to Bagdad" , asking if we could supply them with
some "Nordback prouducts" . Then, CopperStone ask me if I could Fly those buckets over to their site
(again, in Parker, AZ (around a 100 = crow miles). Short story is : I flew over there (kinda heavy -
weight - wise) , and told them ------ " OK, I'll just land on th' road , going to the 'Main Gate' .
Then, another guy - - - says , hey, I'm going with you ……………… and , dumb-ass-me , says OK .
Well the problem arose after we landed - - - - - - not, so much 'running two cars .. of th' road .. but when
I taxied into their 'parking-lot' . We get out , unload the buckets , one of their guys see my 'Friend' holding
a 'Coors Can' (they never noticed that he was "chewing'" , thus, using that can …. too deposit his
chew ………………. just like on "Dumb & Dumber" ; when the motorcycle Cop pulls them over , and ,
sees that 'Beer - Bottle' ……………………… maybe , you had too be there ………. that still makes me
laugh .

The End .

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I know a guy............. He says his name is “Jim”..................... But most of us know him as “LS Jim”........................ But this is not on account of him having an LS powered Nova.................No.. No..No........... Rather it refers to the Long Story format he employs to spin his yarns........... And advising............. informing............. and sharing his vivid adventures at the mine...................in the body shop............... in the air............. or on the road............rowing through the gears of that magnificent T5............. LOLs 😂

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Like Hey Man . . . .. . . . . . . . . I could go mow th' yard ……………………. for another adventure .

thanks , Joe . . . . .
( I think) .

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I know a guy............. He says his name is “Jim”..................... But most of us know him as “LS Jim”........................ But this is not on account of him having an LS powered Nova.................No.. No..No........... Rather it refers to the Long Story format he employs to spin his yarns........... And advising............. informing............. and sharing his vivid adventures at the mine...................in the body shop............... in the air............. or on the road............rowing through the gears of that magnificent T5............. LOLs 😂
Love it, funny stuff.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Love all the funny stories, mine is simple and kinda boring. When I first got on SNS I was a captain at Firestation 18 in Houston. Nothing more, nothing less. But I'm gonna keep reading all the funny back stories to people's handles

·
Premium Member
11,285 Posts

That's what I call my ex. She's in California now....Thank God. :)

·
Registered
4,080 Posts

That's what I call my ex. She's in California now....Thank God. :)
Don , I'm right there . . . . . (I could write a few 'chapters' . . . on that adventure).

Back then, = and, I didn't care = she was on her 7th marriage . . . . . - - that was twenty years ago .
who knows , now .

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Just messing with you dude.. I mean you no harm..
I knew that ............. remember I have u'r (phone) number

you, too Mark . - - - - lol

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
I've never piloted a riverboat but have always loved our local rivers back when I was doing a lot of fishing. Back in 2007 when I retired I
decided to see if I could build old tube type design guitar amplifiers since the availability of tubes had started back. I named my amplifiers "Riverboat"
and each design was named after a river in Georgia. All Indian names.
RIVERBOAT LOGO STICKER jpg.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,285 Posts
Don , I'm right there . . . . . (I could write a few 'chapters' . . . on that adventure).

Back then, = and, I didn't care = she was on her 7th marriage . . . . . - - that was twenty years ago .
who knows , now .
That was about 35 years ago. She thought the grass was greener on the other side of the fence. She has been married 3-4 times now. Connie and I are coming up on our 34th anniversary this next month. Sure did waste those first 17 years. LOL Life is totally different now. PRAISE THE LORD!! I too could write a book. Just glad it's over. :)

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
10 - 4 on that Good buddy. . . . . (man) , you should see Her Now = NOT .
I've got my "handle" for her . . . . . . . . . . . . . (attached to my 4lb hammer ) .
oh well, back to SNS …..

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
10 - 4 on that Good buddy. . . . . (man) , you should see Her Now = NOT .
I've got my "handle" for her . . . . . . . . . . . . . (attached to my 4lb hammer ) .
oh well, back to SNS …..
I think you guys got a good idea for a whole other thread. I got some past horror ;) stories I can add to that.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts