Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got word that the funding for the grant that pays for her position at San Jose State is not getting renewed, and she has til October. We can't make it on my income alone, so I hope she can find something soon. She's really intelligent, resourceful, capable, has plenty of professional experience, and she speaks english very well too. I know she'll find something, but the questions are what and when?

We've looked into moving into the central valley, where she's from, because it's so much cheaper than San Jose, but what few jobs are here, there are way less in the central valley from what I hear. I really wish I made enough to support us, but I don't. I guess I just had to vent. Anyone hiring Geologists or Project Assistants?

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
That is such a bummer, Tom. I'll sure keep my fingers crossed for you guys. Even if you end up in the Valley you can still be a NorCalNovaGuy!!

Dave

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
possible junior college professor? if you have enough experience in the field and a degree that's always something to look into.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Got word that the funding for the grant that pays for her position at San Jose State is not getting renewed, and she has til October. We can't make it on my income alone, so I hope she can find something soon. She's really intelligent, resourceful, capable, has plenty of professional experience, and she speaks english very well too. I know she'll find something, but the questions are what and when?

We've looked into moving into the central valley, where she's from, because it's so much cheaper than San Jose, but what few jobs are here, there are way less in the central valley from what I hear. I really wish I made enough to support us, but I don't. I guess I just had to vent. Anyone hiring Geologists or Project Assistants?
I have read that the California central valley has the highest unemployment rate.

California’s unemployment rate was 11.5 percent in May, and nonfarm payroll jobs declined by 68,900 during the month, according to data released Friday by the California Employment Development Department (EDD) from two separate surveys.

In May of last year the unemployment rate was 6.8 percent. In April of this year, the state’s jobless rate was a revised 11.1 percent, the EDD says.

The U.S. unemployment rate also increased last month, rising to 9.4 percent.

The unemployment rate is derived from a federal survey of 5,500 California households.

Here are the MAY 2009 Central Valley unemployment rates.

• Fresno County, 15.5 percent

• Kern County, 14.8 percent

• Kings County, 15.3 percent

• Madera County, 14.6 percent

• Merced County, 18.3 percent

• Sacramento County, 11.1 percent

• San Joaquin County, 15.6 percent

• Stanislaus County, 16.8 percent

• Tulare County, 15.4 percent

• Yolo County, 10.7 percent

• Yuba County, 17.9 percent

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
possible junior college professor? if you have enough experience in the field and a degree that's always something to look into.
Very good suggestion! If she has at least a masters teaching, even online, is a good possibility. They always pay by the class taught, and no-one gets rich on it, but it would help. Around here, online business instructors with grad degrees get $3000-$3500 per class.

Dave

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some news today. They've been going back and forth, telling my wife she would be employed, and then not, etc etc. It's finally official, and her last day is Oct. 15th. Consequently...

Anyone want to buy a 74 Nova project? I have $2600 into it, looking for something near 2k.

·
0 Posts
Some news today. They've been going back and forth, telling my wife she would be employed, and then not, etc etc. It's finally official, and her last day is Oct. 15th. Consequently...

Anyone want to buy a 74 Nova project? I have $2600 into it, looking for something near 2k.
This sucks............. :(:(:(:(:(

·
Registered
128 Posts
are family just went through the same thing. my wife took a job at vons until she could find something. she was a purchasing agent for 18 yrs and they shut down just like that.

its tough but you will be supprised how much you can cut back and remember unemployment is for a year now. keep looking with her experience something will come up.

Hope everything works out for you good luck and dont give up.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well join the club!

my wifes been unemployed for 8 months.....

Let's hope that Meg Whitman, former CEO of eBay doesnt get in the gov office!

She wants to cut state spending by another $15 billion and reduce California's existing state work force by 17 percent...

teachers
officers
firefighters..... you name it!

17% !!!!!!! WOW
I heard bits and pieces about her on the radio. Sounds scary! :eek::eek: Hope that either she's not as bad as she sounds, or she doesn't get anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Hey Tiz sorry to hear brother! Keep your head up man things will get better.

-Justin

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hey Tizz, sorry to hear. My wife's a teacher and lost her job in June. She won't get it back till at least next summer. The Nova's gonna look like a beater for a little longer. :( We're hangin' tough, but it's hard.

Tim

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Hey Tom. I know how hard times can get you and your wife down. Hang in there. DO your best.
I have been out of work too. My wife was not working at that time. Plus my two sons were little. You will be suprised what you and your wife can do when you pull together.

Best wishes.
Bryan

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Sorry to hear the news Tom.:( Like others have said, if you both pull together you can get through this. We all have our fingers crossed for you guys.

Dave

·
Registered
966 Posts
Stay focused, stay positive

Hey Tom, sorry to hear about the bad news...sems like there is plenty of that around these days:( I know everybody here has already said it, but the best possible thing you both can do is stay positive and NEVER give up! Thnigs will get better, thay pretty much always do. The only way can truly lose is if you quit fighting. Things are really tough right now for just about EVERYONE, to some degree. But again, they will get better:yes:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, thanks for all the kind words guys! We really appreciate it. Already got rid of a few things I don't need, and we're going to cut back some more. I think we'll be OK for the time being. If she's out of work for a really long time, it might get bad, but for a few months, we'll be fine.

By the way, how does unemployment work? Neither of us have ever dealt with it before.

·
Registered
597 Posts
University jobs are scarce and difficult to get right now. My wife's been on the hunt for two years now. There are few if any jobs opening up right now, not just around here, but nationwide. She has a tentative job for the next few years, but in between every semester, it gets real shaky. It's annoying, she has to spend the entire summer getting a new class ready in case she has a job, but the job isn't 100% until about a week before classes start.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts