Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend in California that has an original 67 Nova SS and his grille is original to the car. Had it since 1968. His grille is not painted Black like I thought all SS grilles were suppose to be. He says that the STANDARD grille was the only one painted and the SS grille was not? Please tell me that I have not been wrong all this time?

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Reactions: Alf

·
Super Moderator
3,804 Posts
When I said that I was lying, I might have been lying.

I think all '67 grilles were the same. If his SS doesn't have paint on it, it was removed by time or by choice. It would have a separate part number for the SS grille and there isn't one.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 67 SS grille was painted...but may have been replaced at some point in the early 70's. GM grille.

My friend said that his grille was never replaced and he had it since 68. Never painted or paint

removed? He also said that in the Classic catalog, they have one grille that is standard and is

painted? My 67 SS has an NOS grille on it and was not painted? I painted it thinking it should be?

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
13,622 Posts
Dave, is your friend saying his '67 SS grill has no paint on it anywhere? What parts of your grill did you paint?

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob,

Here are the pictures of his grille and mine being painted. Last picture is of his grille still on the car and the one he is selling. Could it be a California thing? The up and down bars are not painted on his and the standard grille is. The SS emblem is just sitting on the grille...not an SS grille but is painted?

Dave
67 Nova Boy

Attachments

·
13,622 Posts
Most of the '67 Nova SS pictures I can find have no paint on the vertical bars. Sedans and wagons don't either. The ones that are painted appear to be on custom/modified cars. Things being as they were in the 60s, it's possible some were painted. The '66 SS trunk emblem SS insignia mystery has never been solved. Some have a black background and some are chrome. Inconsistency was the most consistent thing about 60s cars.

Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob,

So I spent half a day taping, painting this perfect grille for nothing? Dang it!!

Thanks for the response Bob.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
304 Posts
Agree, most probably a clone. Never heard or read anything about original being restored. Although, it was a cool paint job.

·
13,622 Posts
Correct. There is no original 1966 Grumpy's Toy in existence. The car in the video is probably the one built by Dan Miller back in the early 2000's. It's very well done. The car was featured in the April, 2006, edition of Nova Times. The hood was signed by Bill Jenkins.

Did anyone notice that the video shows three 1967 L79 Novas….Granada Gold sport coupe, Bolero Red SS and the Emerald Turquoise SS formerly owned by Jack Duer. These cars are all documented.

Who's the owner of this collection?

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bob,
I wondered the same thing...if its not Jack Duer, then who? I did notice the 3 67 L79's. I was looking at the painted grilles versus the non painted grilles on the 67 SS cars and non SS 67's.

The Grumpy 66 L79 is a work of art! he did a great job on the car. Hope he made the grump proud!!

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bob,

Take a look in the back round and on the walls with the Black hubcaps and other caps/posters ECT.

What is the Black 65 at the end of the 67 row? Must be a rare one to be in the collection. Lots or 2nd gens there$$$$$.

The Bolero Red 67 must have factory Disc, but were Red lines available on the Nova?

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
13,622 Posts
The black '65 appears to be the 4 speed L74 two door sedan built many years ago by John Piccola. I've read in some articles that it's real, but I believe that a write up in Nova times stated that it wasn't.

No factory red lines on Chevy IIs until 1968. They were standard equipment on the 1968 SS.

After a little sleuthing on the net, I believe this is Dan Millers car collection in the video.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bob,

So Dan Miller bought out Jack Duer? I always thought it was the other way around?

Nice collection, whom ever owns it!

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
13,622 Posts
Keep in mind this article is10 years old. Jack Duers 1967 L79 has been added to the collection since this writing.

Bob

·
Registered
978 Posts
Notice the 67 silver with black top Nova convertible at the end of the video. Cool garage!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Keep in mind this article is10 years old. Jack Duers 1967 L79 has been added to the collection since this writing.

Bob
That is Dan Miller's collection. It seems a bit ironic considering the ultra low production number of 67 L-79s that three sit side by side after 53 years. The gold/black hard top was restored by Wayne at NNN, the blue SS is Jack Duer's exceptional work and I owned the red on red SS for about 30 years. It's come a long way from when I sold it to Dan 6 years ago! To the point of the thread ...I seem to remember my grill having at least the remains of black paint on the vertical ribs of the grill. I also found the white pinstripe over the Bolero red underneath the one respray the car had when I got it.

Blaine

1 - 20 of 25 Posts