Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I run the Sniper EFI do I have to buy the distributor, coil and all those extras to make it run right? Anybody running the Sniper EFI?

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
I'm sure you don't have to run the sniper controlled ignition but I would highly recommend it when you can.

·
Registered
123 Posts
you can use your stock stuff. The sniper comes with a coil driver, that again will need a good power source on the pink wire will in crank and run positions. over 10 volts if possible. also the Sniper is very sensitive to RF noise so pay particular attention to which way you have the wiring ran.

·
Registered
1963 Chevy II Nova 400 Station Wagon
4 Posts
I am also looking into the Sniper system and contacted EFI System Pro and they were very helpful and also found out that there is an in-tank fuel pump and sender combo available for the gen 1 nova eliminating a fuel return line.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well, I'm looking at the Sniper also. Instructions are pretty clear on having a designated 12V source with key in "on" position and start. From what I have read when key is turned on, fuel will be provided for the start process. So be mindful that you don't turn key off and on checking something else in the car and not starting engine. You could be flooding engine. Also separate power and ground needed and recommendation is straight to battery. Regarding fuel supply, Holley has a in tank supply that is supposed to replace the fuel supply/fuel indication is stock tank. Link below.

·
Registered
396 Posts
That is the set up I ran for my FiTech, works great, I did upgrade to tube style sender, believe the 6" one was recommended by Tanks for the 66-67 for far better gauge readings.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can run returnless, but a return setup is recommend. You will make more power/have a more stable tune with more consistent fuel temperature/pressure that way.

Despite what Holley says you can run timing control with a locked out HEI, but their distributor will make it easier.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed the Sniper on a 66 Chevelle. You can install it without making any changes to your existing ignitions system. The coil driver can be used if you decide to step up to Sniper controlled timing, in place of an ignition box. It just doesn't provide quiet the spark power as say an MSD 6. If your ignition is working good as is, stick with it while you work out any bugs with the fuel injection. It's easier to troubleshoot if you're only doing one system at a time. You can always upgrade later.

We started with an hei, then upgraded to the Sniper distributor and a DUI coil, with the coil driver. We still have the option to upgrade to a multi-spark box later if we choose. As for now, the adjustability of the timing is awesome. I had my son run the laptop as we made runs on the road and made adjustments as the seat dyno indicated, without ever raising the hood.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Holley set up for the stock tank sounds great. No reviews yet. Anybody else tried it??
Holley 12-316

1 - 11 of 11 Posts