Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I did the same thing, basically I figured it could be used for a return or a vent. There really wasn’t any options 12 years ago other then a custom tank $. When tanks inc came out I just sold the old tank which was in great shape and put the cash towards the the tanks inc.
Have you had any issues with aeration or anything like that?

·
Registered
1970 2-Door Barn Find
58 Posts
good thinking man. Thanks for the advice. I’m sticking with the factory tank for now, but will keep that in mind if I upgrade.
The stock Nova tank will have issues. It is a wide, flat tank and the fuel sloshes around in turns. Not a problem with a mechanical pump if it sips a little air. The carb as enough fuel in it to keep it going for a short period.

Not so, with EFI. If it gets a gulp of air, the engine shuts down immediately until the fuel starts flowing again. This can be kinda embarrassing around town or turning up a driveway.

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,339 Posts
Have you had any issues with aeration or anything like that?
I was running a surge tank at first then the tanks inc. The reason for the surge tank was so the high pressure pump never ran outta fuel. Sorry I kinda answered earlier before I though , chemo brain, So I would have to agree with the others about starving the pump in a stock tank.

·
6,950 Posts
The stock Nova tank will have issues. It is a wide, flat tank and the fuel sloshes around in turns. Not a problem with a mechanical pump if it sips a little air. The carb as enough fuel in it to keep it going for a short period.

Not so, with EFI. If it gets a gulp of air, the engine shuts down immediately until the fuel starts flowing again. This can be kinda embarrassing around town or turning up a driveway.
Hydra-mat by Holley(not sure who else makes them) will help with that problem. Fuel wicks quickly into it to provide a constant supply. Even the drop in fuel pumps are coming with it.

·
Registered
1970 2-Door Barn Find
58 Posts
Hydra-mat by Holley(not sure who else makes them) will help with that problem. Fuel wicks quickly into it to provide a constant supply. Even the drop in fuel pumps are coming with it.
You are right. I have seen a live presentation at a trade show. Very impressive. Also very expensive....

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
It is cheaper. The holley setup is around $330. You use your existing fuel tank and the pump and sending unit are 1 unit that takes the place of your sending unit now. Compare with Tanks. over $500

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,339 Posts
It is cheaper. The holley setup is around $330. You use your existing fuel tank and the pump and sending unit are 1 unit that takes the place of your sending unit now. Compare with Tanks. over $500
The only thing is the tanks inc is a new powder coated tank that is baffled which helps a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey all, in the near future I think I will be switching to sniper efi. The research I have done to change a carb over to sniper efi is the unit #550-510, and the tank kit which includes the tank, punp w/return #19-112 around. If you don't buy the tank kit you will need to figure out a return line system. You will need High pressure in-tank pump #12-136 (comes with hydro mat) and you will need the fuel kit-hose, filter, fittings/clamps #526-10. Hope this helps someone. I was told from the guy I bought my car that the 383 that was in it was high compression 11.5.1 he was running it on 109. thats not easy or cheap to get around my parts so I have been looking at different ways to run it on pump gas. I'm not sure if the efi system is the way to go but was told it should work. If anyone has any help please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
1970 2-Door Barn Find
58 Posts
Hey all, in the near future I think I will be switching to sniper efi. The research I have done to change a carb over to sniper efi is the unit #550-510 ($999), and the tank kit which includes the tank, punp w/return #19-112 around ($577). If you don't buy the tank kit you will need to figure out a return line system. You will need High pressure in-tank pump #12-136 (comes with hydro mat) and you will need the fuel kit-hose, filter, fittings/clamps #526-10. Hope this helps someone. I was told from the guy I bought my car that the 383 that was in it was high compression 11.5.1 he was running it on 109. thats not easy or cheap to get around my parts so I have been looking at different ways to run it on pump gas. I'm not sure if the efi system is the way to go but was told it should work. If anyone has any help please let me know. Thanks
I have sad news. EFI won't help if your engine is actually 11.5 compression. Some factory cars with that compression are able to run "pump gas" but they have highly specialized fuel and ignition systems; not something that you can build at home. The easiest fix is to replace the heads to get a lower the static compression.

If you have access to E85 fuel, it runs VERY well on high compression. You would probably have to change out the carburetor (or at least the jet) because E85 uses a different fuel mixture than gasoline. But you can try it out by filling your tank with 1/2 gas and 1/2 E85 to see if it helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Can you explain why Sniper will not work on 11;1 compression?
If I read it correctly he didn't say it "will not work." He meant it's not going to change the type of fuel he needs to run 11.5/1 compression without issues. He said, "EFI won't help."

I have ran exactly 11:1 with Holley Stealth ram with great success but I used a factory 730 ECM and tuned with speed density and no input from an O2 sensor. (I had an Innovate sensor and laptop scanning the air to fuel ratio for months and with great success. I'm now running a Sniper on the same engine and it's also fine.

His solution with a Sniper would be to use the timing control it provides and de-tune the engine. (Cut back on the timing advance) But, he could do that with a carburetor and mechanical or electrical timing controls also. Or, as mentioned, run some e85 and try that.

So, to repeat, he didn't say it will not work. I believe he meant it will not solve his problem.

Or, I misunderstood the whole thing and wanted to say, being able to tune would be the key run running lower octane fuel.

HTH,

Steve

·
Registered
1970 2-Door Barn Find
58 Posts
So, to repeat, he didn't say it will not work. I believe he meant it will not solve his problem.
You are correct, Steve. As I read 63Stroker's post, he has a high compression engine which requires an octane-boosting additive and he is looking for option to allow him to use "pump gas".

I was told from the guy I bought my car that the 383 that was in it was high compression 11.5.1 he was running it on 109. thats not easy or cheap to get around my parts so I have been looking at different ways to run it on pump gas. I'm not sure if the efi system is the way to go but was told it should work. If anyone has any help please let me know. Thanks
A EFI system will allow the motor to run better but it won't stop the pinging or knocking that usually happens when running "pump gas" in a high compression engine.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, so I sold the chevy 2, ended up buying a 2010 CTS-V 6-speed sedan. I dont have enough post to list on the classified adds but I wanted to give everyone here 1st dibs on the holley efi setup before I post it for sale online. I have a holley efi # 550-510 and I have the gas tank kit #19-112, Its still in the box, if you were to order it new from jegs it would be around $2,201+tax. I'll sell it for $2,000 shipped you can text me at 608-235-2109
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

21 - 37 of 37 Posts