Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past couple of weeks we have noticed a smell of gas in the garage where the Nova is parked. We don't see dripping and our fuel pressure is good. Any ideas on what we should check? FYI its not the mower, edger or leaf blower :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Not knowing what all has been done to the car makes it a little difficult to tell. If you have a mechanical fuel pump the hose that connects to the pump from the line has a habbit of cracking. Also if you haven't dropped the fuel tank I've seen a couple on other cars get pinholes in the top. I guess all types of stuff can sit up there and you would never even notice it. Does the car start easily or are the bowls on your carb empty and requiring a reprime after sitting for a couple of days?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...its a 307 which we put a new intake manifold and holley 570 carb on. Starts easily several days later. I will take a look at the fuel pump and the supply line. What am I looking for? Would I see drips? Also if a fuel pump is going bad are there any symptoms ie. poor mileage, acceleration etc.

Appreciate it

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
As Gloryhound indicated look for cracked lines. Second the actual fuel pump. The rubber diaphragm inside the pump can crack or tear. I've had some leak while running and others leak with the engine off. Some leak intermittently with the engine off, you can bump the starter and get it to stop leaking.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
71 Nova Dad said:
Thanks...its a 307 which we put a new intake manifold and holley 570 carb on. Starts easily several days later. I will take a look at the fuel pump and the supply line. What am I looking for? Would I see drips? Also if a fuel pump is going bad are there any symptoms ie. poor mileage, acceleration etc.

Appreciate it
Depends on how bad it is as to if you will see the drops or not. One place the cracks like to start forming at are were the clamp is pinching down on the hose. Gas evaporates fairly quickly. If the fuel hoses have never been changed it would not hurt to do so, these hoses do have a limited life. GM never really intended to have 30+ year old cars still on the road, so they never really thought about this as a 10, 15, or 20 year maintenance schedule item. I've never had a fuel pump leak myself, but that doesn't say they can't. My experience with fuel pumps are they normally get stuck or just will not pump any more.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Check the rubber hose that is clamped to the steel line cuming right out of the gas tank.Or like mine did look at the filler neck going into the tank.If you can't see a hole fill the tank up with gas and see if is dripping out of the filler neck where it is welded to the tank.Hope this helped.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well we traced it to the tank where 2 separate lines go in. There is streaking over the edge and down onto the bottom of the tank. Seems to be more prevalent when the tank is full. Easy fix?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Well I think you will have to drop the tank to find out! If it is a hard line that is rusted should be easy enough to replace. Just try and do it with as little gas in the tank as possible. If it's the tank, I've heard of patches but I would really consider a new one. It could also be coming from the gasket around the sending unit and it can be a real bear to remove on Northern cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts