Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

So this last weekend it was pretty warm out so I deiced it would be a good time to finally yank my engine and trans. When I bought this car the owner had advertized it has having a 327 engine; however, once the engine was out I decided to run the block casting number and, to my surprise, is actually a 307 block, the original block.
IMG_8618.jpg
I am a little disappointed as the owner told me the engine had been recently rebuilt and was looking forward to not having to touch the engine much in this project (I would've been more than satisfied with a 275+ horsepower 327). Now, though, it looks like I'm going to have to rebuild this engine if I am to have any fun driving this car.
The 307 appears to be all stock except for an edelbrock 600cfm carb and a performer intake manifold. My question is which parts should I use to bump me up to a 250-275 hp range without having to touch the bottom end. I didn't anticipate having to spend extra money on engine parts so I'd like to keep it under 1000s bucks; I'm thinking a mild cam and some better heads should do the tick? Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
429 Posts
I know it's going to be said, so I'll say it, sell the 307, which I doubt you'll get anything out of, but sell it. Go find a 350, look in classifieds, craigslist, eBay, wherever, and start there. Buy a cam, use your intake and carb, and you will have 300 plus hp. Or put a cam in your 307, and be happy with it.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
http://www.crosstownengines.com/view/performance-engines/

Bottom of the page. A possible alternative for you. Tried to see if they had a good rep with BBB, but all I got was the Chrysler dealer.

Check with the local GM dealer and see if there are Goodwrench engines for sale. With your carb, distributor and manifold, you should be close to your hp goal and close to your budget.

Or put a bigger cam in your 307, and drive it for a while until you can save up for a 350 or bigger. If the previous owner did not give you the whole truth about the engine, I would be reluctant putting any more money into it.

Ray

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Hello everyone,

So this last weekend it was pretty warm out so I deiced it would be a good time to finally yank my engine and trans. When I bought this car the owner had advertized it has having a 327 engine; however, once the engine was out I decided to run the block casting number and, to my surprise, is actually a 307 block, the original block.
View attachment 77434
I am a little disappointed as the owner told me the engine had been recently rebuilt and was looking forward to not having to touch the engine much in this project (I would've been more than satisfied with a 275+ horsepower 327). Now, though, it looks like I'm going to have to rebuild this engine if I am to have any fun driving this car.
The 307 appears to be all stock except for an edelbrock 600cfm carb and a performer intake manifold. My question is which parts should I use to bump me up to a 250-275 hp range without having to touch the bottom end. I didn't anticipate having to spend extra money on engine parts so I'd like to keep it under 1000s bucks; I'm thinking a mild cam and some better heads should do the tick? Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks
Hang on one quick second :)

Did you check the partial VIN or just the casting number? If it's VIN matched then you can build it to the power level that you are desiring and keep the car original. If it's not, chuck it and get an engine that's a better base platform like a 350. It is of no use to you.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Same thing happened to my buddy.

A friend of mine bought a '68 Impala and asked if I would help him out with the car to make it a daily driver. He told me the seller told him it was an all original 327. I pulled the motor last week and removed the top end. Turns out it is an all original 307 small journal. Since the car is in real nice original shape, I am going to just freshen the 307 and put hardened seats in the heads and go with it. Might put a aluminum intake and a 500cfm carb on it. At least its not a 283. He was pretty bummed though but since it is for his kid who is currently 10, it gives him plenty of time to redo the rest of the car the way he wants and decide to put a 350 based motor in the future.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I don't think it's worth the time to modify the 307 honestly unless you're going for originality. I ran into that same conundrum years ago when I wanted to go faster. Here's what I did to mine before I eventually pulled it:

1.) Edelbrock 600cfm carb
2.) Aluminum dual plane intake manifold
3.) Blue Streak untized points
4.) Curve kit for distributor (used 1 light and 1 medium spring to bring timing all in at 2800 RPM)
5.) Headers
6.) Dual exhaust

I had that engine running really good at the end, it was pretty quick for what it was, but was far from a rocket. I ran low/mid 15's with it at the dragstrip with a TH350 trans and 3.73 posi. Nothing earth shattering, but wasn't a slug either.

I left the cam/heads and bottom end untouched. Once I got to the point where I wanted to go faster, rather than crack into the engine, I just bought a 383 stroker from my buddy's uncle and dropped that in. Ran mid 13's with that right off the bat with no tuning and got to low 13's later.

You're much better off starting with a 350 or 383 before spending any money on the 307. The 307 can be made to be respectable but will never be a rocket.

Good luck with your build!

·
Registered
519 Posts
same thing happened to me, was told it was a 350, checked the numbers later (took someone for their word...stupid me) and it turns out it is a 307. Good news, it runs strong so I can flog it till it blows up, then worry about something better. I would go with a 350 if it were me, there is no replacement for displacement as they say.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Super Chevy magazine did a 307 build quite a few years ago that turned out some decent numbers,if you have numbers matching engine and want to keep it that way,search their archives it might help you decide on which direction you want to go. Rick

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I have to disagree with those that say just adding a cam is a possibility. I added a cam and headers to the 350 4bbl that cam stock in my '74, and it made very little difference at all. If you don't have the compression (correct heads) to back it up, and the gearing to put it on the ground, I don't think a cam is worth the time or money.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts

OMC could squeeze out 235 hp from these engines with 1.94 intake heads(these engines usually came with 1.72 intake heads) a Rochester 4bbl carb and Mallory distributor with stock camshaft. So you can do it :yes:

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you really want the 327 I think you can put the crank in a 4" bore block. I think the 307 was made because the 327s were blowing the skidbloneys off everything and chevy wanted to dial it back a bit but I don't know

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bowtie0069; great info on the 307 rebuild. I have a stock 71 (except dual exhaust & rally wheels) NOM 307, auto, bench seat with an ok 10' paint job. The mild, inexpensive build is exactly what this car needs...just enough to turn heads but not enough to get into real trouble.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1398997440.230642.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
100 Posts
late model carbed 305 heads might be a cheap hp booster plus you'd have hardened seats.If it were me id put an rv grind cam in it or somthing like a edelbrock performer grind and put late model 305 throttle body heads that can be found at about any junkyard cheap make sure they have good guides and buy a new aluminum carb style intake that will bolt to the heads.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts