Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm here again needing some help. I had 6 bolts in a plastic bag and the ID tag was missing so I don't know where they were located on my '65. Anyone recognize them? Size is 1/4 X 20 -3/8 and the washer has four barbs. As usual, I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Those look like the bolts that hold the window regulator and door latch to the door. I believe the door latch uses 3 bolts so that would indicate 6 bolts for two doors.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
BINGO! You are absolutely right. I went to the shop and dug out the door stuff. Then, looked at photos of the bolts mounted and there they were. I put the originals in a box with the quarter window interior side covers and other door hardware so I counted what I had and was 6 bolts short. These were them. I absolutely don't know how these did not get put into the bag. According to my count there are 6 of these bolts for each side windows and 7 for each quarter windows so that is a total of 26 of these bolts.

The two door latches also used these type bolts which would require 6 bolts total and now I'm on the hunt for my door latches but haven't found them yet.

You guys always come through for me. THANKS!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
That's why I like to put bolts like that back into the piece they came out of. Saves trying to figure out where they go at reassembly time. If I don't or can't do that, they go into ziplock bags that have a white label area that I write down what they are for and/or where they go. If possible, I even zip tie the bag to the part.
But then, I'm kinda anal about things like that. I go through a lot of label maker cartridges, everything gets labeled.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm sorry to say that when I first started taking the Nova apart I did not do that but after a short time I thought to myself how in the world am I gonna know what screw or bolt goes where? I would say that just about all the hardware was rusted or corroded beyond reuse so I'm looking to replace all the hardware with new stuff. A lot of hardware did get labeled but there was a lot that didn't. That is why I'm going through the Assembly Manual right now and crossing over to AMK trying to find the right hardware. This is a very hard process for a 71 year old mind but I'm working through it. There is still going to be a lot of Hardware store bolts and screws that I'll need but if I can't find the correct ones then it'll just have to be what it is. Between AMK and what was Chevy2only, I've got most of what I need now.

Update: I did find my door latches and they had the bolts in question still attached.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The hardware I took off of my car was in very bad shape but I ran them through a Phosphoric acid bath which dissolved the rust and they came out with a sort of greenish coating. Lock washers and washers that had a spring to them were destroyed because of the nitrogen effect the acid has on them. I had a few that came out all right but by enlarge most weren't worth using. That is why I'm doing so much research in a hope that I can gather up as many originals and suitable bolts, clips and nuts that I can find. What I can't find will just have to Grade 8 hardware store variety. There won't be many but it just can't be helped.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I use the wire wheel on my grinder. Then a light coat of metal etching epoxy primer, then satin black or silver paint depending on the bolt. Cheap and easy, and builds those finger callouses that chicks dig so much.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know what you mean about those wire wheels. I've drawn blood more times than I'd like to remember. I've got the bolts sitting in their places so they won't go missing anymore. All of mine were in very good shape so they will definitely be reused. Thanks for the info. I've got a few more bolts that I need to identify. I wish I'd have done a better job of labeling what I took off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts