Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know If I cam just replace the front wiring harness on my sbc distributor? I havent took the dizzy apart to inspect. So, yesterday, I took the wagon out to purge the cooling system, when all of a sudden a small engine bay fire occurred resulting in burned/melted wires to the distributor and alternator. Further inspection revealed the cause was old, brittle carb fuel line spewing out a fine mist of pressured gas on to the dizzy/alt area.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
that was a close one there, good you had something to put the fire out. thats going to be my winter job on the nova is putting all new rubber fuel lines from the tank to the carb.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,487 Posts
You are very smart to have a fire extinguisher in your car... I've seen engine fires that have completed destroyed engine bays in a matter of minutes.
Be sure to check all of your other hoses (fuel, vacuum, coolant, etc) for any signs of brittleness and/or deterioration.

Below is another link to an other HEI wiring harness (with capacitor) that is less expensive.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Proform/778/66946C/10002/-1

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
another "I have done that" - except it was in our 63 SS with fuel injection.

Appears we both got lucky.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I did it too. Forgot to tighten a fuel line. I was also very fortunate that it happened in our driveway and we had a fire extinguisher in our kitchen. Now we have an additional extinguisher in the garage and I'll get one for the car before I start driving it again.

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,636 Posts
Lucille is the only car I carry a fire extinguisher in. Really the only one I don't want to burn to the ground :eek:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Glad you caught it and minimized the damage by having an extinguisher available.
I second the braided fuel line, if not using a hard line.
You are very smart to have a fire extinguisher in your car... I've seen engine fires that have completed destroyed engine bays in a matter of minutes.
Yep. My recent trailer build planning had me searching for fire extinguishers, which prompted a reminder that I still need one in each vehicle.

Case in point:
Somewhere, I have dash camera footage of a car in front of me (a Kia Soul) that had an under hood fire erupt at 70 mph on an interstate interchange last summer.
It went from "Oh crap" to uncontrollable in about 45 seconds -- or about the time it took the driver (and sole occupant) to recognize the issue, pull over, stop, get out, and start panicking. If he (or I!) had had a fire extinguisher, it might have been enough to put the fire out. But, he (we) didn't.

In less than three minutes, the entire car was engulfed, bumper to bumper.
At about six minutes, the tires started blowing, and one of them ruptured the fuel tank or opened a fuel line. That really didn't help.

'Round about the time the tires started blowing, the concrete shoulder started spalling explosively and throwing molten globs of burning plastic everywhere.

It took 13 minutes for the fire department to arrive (from my local fire station, just a mile and a half from the fire, and perfectly located to jump right on the interstate).
They took another minute or two to assess the situation and talk to the driver, before even approaching the flaming hulk that used to be a car.

There was, of course, no happy ending, except that the driver was okay.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Glad you were able to catch it. Rubber fuel line dries out and cracks. That's why it's best to only use short pieces to use as connectors from hardline. Less flexing and less chances of cracking or rupturing. You should also replace all the rubber lines in your fuel system every so many years. I usually dont let them get any older than 5 years. Spending $20 and a couple hours every 5 years is a lot cheaper than a fire.

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
Your 'good luck' was the result of good planning!

My cars and truck don't leave the driveway without:
1. A fire extinguisher
2. A basic first aid kit
3. A basic tool kit
4. An umbrella
5. A roll of toilet paper in a plastic bag under the seat

These bits were chosen as a result of my being involved in rallying for the past 50 years. :rolleyes:

I also have a 'go-bag' that contains Red Cross recommended supplies for use in recoveries or disasters. (I'm also a ham radio operator and belong to an ARES club.) The go-bag usually stays at home, but it sometimes gets tossed into whatever I'm driving on longer trips.

Not fire related: My go-bag saved my bacon last week. I made a trip of about 75 miles to look at a car. I was driving my Subie WRX. At the far end of the trip, the seal in the (aftermarket) clutch master cylinder failed and the clutch pedal wouldn't come off the floor without help. I usually carry a small roll of woven nylon cord. I tied one end around the clutch pedal and wrapped the other end around my left hand. The drill was: kick in the clutch, shift and then pull on the rope. Not too elegant a solution, but it got me home without a tow!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Glad it didn't burn to the ground.

I need to get a fire extinguisher for my Nova. I'd love to hear any recommendations on what everyone else is carrying and what size. I was just looking into this last night.:yes:

Dave B, that's some Magiver ingenuity right there. Guess it's like insurance, you hope you never have to use it but when you need it your very glad you had it :D

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
Is anyone driving their Nova without a spare tire?

Is anyone running the Corvette style tire that you can run partially flat?

·
Registered
469 Posts

I have an extinguisher in the car and a spare. The original spare and rim that's never been on the ground. Id be scared to use it.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

I don't keep a spare in the car.
Adds weight and takes up too much space.

Since I almost never take the Nova when I'm in a hurry or on a tight schedule, and it rarely strays more than 6 miles from home, I'm not worried about it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts