Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a vortec 350 engine & wander if anyone has advice on if I must place a dab of silicone at rear corners of main bearing cap on a one piece rear main seal engine. Also do you have to remove all oil residue from under main bearings to keep from spinning them ?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
It won’t hurt to wipe the bearing bores out with lacquer thinner to make sure they are clean.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've always used lacquer thinner to clean before and during assembly. Try to find good lint free rags and you cannot get things too clean. I wipe the back side of all bearings also.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I missed the part about the seal, but I am assuming you mean to seal the oil pan gasket to the seal adapter. And the answer is yes, I always put silicone in the corners where the pan meets the cap, or in your case the seal adapter.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You talking about a 1986 and newer one piece block? I don't believe you use sealant under the rear main cap corners like you might on a 2 piece block if that is what you meant? I haven't done a 1 piece, at least not a sbc one, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Yes, remove all oil and dirt from the back of the bearings before installing them. Assembly lube or just oil works on the bearing faces, where the crank journals run against, before final assembly. Crush is what holds the bearings from spinning. I use paper towels and rubbing alcohol to clean. Always have and never had a problem with lint. Just keep the towels moist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts