Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That probably was not the correct title for this thread but here it goes. My starter drags when the car is hot, whaaa whaaa whaaa, starter is new, batt is good, and large, the alt is good. I believe the problem is heat. So do those fole starter blankets really work? Included photo of starter. Headers are really close.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I've ha better luck with smaller starters (mini-starters). :yes:
They install easier, fit better and give you better header clearance, and thus, stay cooler and don't have near the heat-soak problem.
You can even get one for a mid 90's Chevy truck from your local parts house with a lifetime warranty!!:devil:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
how thick is your battery cable? The starter blankets help but not much. Problem is the header heat right on top of the solenoid causing high resistance, either in the solenoid itself or the battery cable. MAD electrical has the Ford starter solenoid kit to remedy this problem. Also having alot of timing causes it to "grunt" when hot. Mini starters usually do the trick. You could wrap the starter and part of the header with that heat barrier stuff.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
amazed

i'd get a ford solenoid " hot start " type kit and i bet your problem will be alot better. It gives the solenoid full current from the battery as well as the starter. You could make your own by getting a ford solenoid from a parts store too a little cheaper.

when i hook one up , i run a wire from the battery terminal on the solenoid to the post on the solenoid that energizes the coil. Some say that this might cause the starter to run on a bit after power is disconnected , but i've not saw this make a big problem myself when adapting this to a chevy starter. The solenoid coil on the chevy starter has a high load and prolly disipates any ( if any ) voltage that the starter creates as its winding down.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
whats your intial timming set at? Too much intial can cause this to happen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts