Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive decided im tired of my slow stock nova, and i want to beef it up a bit and get some more horsepower, its got a 350 and im pretty sure it only pushes around 140 horse, could be wrong but i was planning to get out the EGR and emmission garbage, going to a 4 barrel carb, dual exhaust, and possibly making it a 383, but are there any tricks or cheap ways to get some more power ?

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
ive decided im tired of my slow stock nova, and i want to beef it up a bit and get some more horsepower, its got a 350 and im pretty sure it only pushes around 140 horse, could be wrong but i was planning to get out the EGR and emmission garbage, going to a 4 barrel carb, dual exhaust, and possibly making it a 383, but are there any tricks or cheap ways to get some more power ?
Nitrous = cheapest way.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
its hard for the real speed demons on this site to offer their secrets if you just say you have a 350 and you want to make it fast. You need to list your complete car combo. engine, tranny, rear axle etc. If everything is stock, I would try an aluminum intake, 4 barrel carb, headers, dual exhaust...But 2.41 rear gears and a stock stall converter will be a bottle neck to whatever you add. If the tranny and axle are absorbing up your mods, you will never tell the difference. its like upgrading RAM, motherboard and cpu and running dial up modem

you can try a set of vortec heads that have smaller cc. they are supposed to flow great (add 40hp out of the box) and should raise your compression ratio (assuming dished pistons ontop 76cc heads) But my nova doesnt really go THAT fast, but I think I know where your headed

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a stock, 5.7, chevy 350, with no modifications yet, turbu 350 tranny(also stock) and my rear end is a 10 bolt stock, i even have stock exhaust, for now but everything is bone stock, cars only got 57000 miles on it. but yes i plan on the headers, dual, 4 barrel carb but, do i really have to change the torque converter u think? and how many rpm should i get one for if i were to do tht?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would do the gear swap and wait on the torque converter untill you go to a bigger cam. Just the gears, intake, carb, headers and exhaust will make a big improvement and make it much more fun to drive. If your doing it a little at a time, I say swap gears first and rebuild the carb and give it a good tune up.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
^^ X2 I upgraded my nova as such...intake, headers, exhaust, 4 barrel carb (sound familiar?) and was still dissapointed. Once I added the posi and 3.73 rear gear, I started to smile. I now have a ss 200-4r which has 2000 rpm stall torque converter and am pretty content....for now

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright i guess that makes sense, but where do i find the gears? or do i just have to find a 12 bolt rear end? cause id like to have results if im gonna put all this time into it. and im very unfamiliar with auto trannys so the stall converter would have been a chalenge for me.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
It sounds like you might end up paying someone to set it up. I researched the process for like 3 months casually. Purchased a set of gears off craigslist (out a chevy blazer). My posi came from a 8.5" 10 bolt trans am. It was originally equiped with 2.73 gears so I figured it wasnt badly abused. purchased the Ratech master overhaul kit from summit. I read numerous write ups online like from chevyhiperformance, carcraft, hotrod. And lastly a super friendly member here on steves helped me with my nagging questions. even after all the research, I had many questions, but Im overcautious. I also puchased a snap-on torque angle meter from ebay to measure the preload on the pinion. I would start with the resarch for now

·
Registered
140 Posts
I picked up a 8.5 posi rear with 2.73 gears in it along with the 74 nova it was in for 500. Keep an eye out on craigslist, an 8.5 out of all 70s novas will fit so you might find a deal on a whole car like I did. I picked up a new set of richmond 3.73s for 160.00 New. I have a guy gonna set it up for 100 and I need an install kit. You might score one with a better gear ratio and then its just swapping the rearends out.

ChevyBelly sounds like we have the same ideas going on lol. I have a 2200 stall waiting to go in and a 200 4r out of an ss monte thats getting built up to handle some BB torque.:yes:

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
I picked up a 8.5 posi rear with 2.73 gears in it along with the 74 nova it was in for 500. Keep an eye out on craigslist, an 8.5 out of all 70s novas will fit so you might find a deal on a whole car like I did. I picked up a new set of richmond 3.73s for 160.00 New. I have a guy gonna set it up for 100 and I need an install kit. You might score one with a better gear ratio and then its just swapping the rearends out.

ChevyBelly sounds like we have the same ideas going on lol. I have a 2200 stall waiting to go in and a 200 4r out of an ss monte thats getting built up to handle some BB torque.:yes:
You may need a different carrier...

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
You may need a different carrier...
I think all hell need is the ring gear spacer. I used the Mr Gasket brand

thats is going to be sweet setup. youll definately like the 2 gear downshift when floored. its a nice roar with the headers. The ss unit shifts really positive. Mine feels like it has a shif kit installed and im sure its facory. light throttle chirps second around the turns :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
thats is going to be sweet setup. youll definately like the 2 gear downshift when floored. its a nice roar with the headers. The ss unit shifts really positive. Mine feels like it has a shif kit installed and im sure its facory. light throttle chirps second around the turns :D
I had it in a monte ss behind a 406 sbc that I rebuilt and had 3.73 posi in the rear. 35-40mph I could set it sideways all day long lol. Should be just as fun with my little big block :yes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts