Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today while driving my 69 the steering wheel has some play in it. I turn it and it moves a little before the front tires do. I have manual steering. Looking on the steering gearbox, there is what looks to be an adjuster on it. How do I go about adjusting it? Does turning the center screw clockwise tighten it and take slack out? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Yes, just don't get carried away. Make a small adjustment, then turn the wheel from lock to lock and be sure you don't run into tight spots. Easier to do with the car jacked up.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Check your rag joint, idler arm, and tie rods for wear before adjusting your steering box.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
hello

i just bought a manual box from the junk yard it feels tight to me but it does have a tight spot every where else is very smooth is there something i can do or is there internal damage the junk yard claimed it was rebuilt when the car came in if so i feel like if some one went into it they didnt put all balls back in it what do you guys think

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I had the same issue on my 66, the box adjustment was all the way so purchased a rebuilt from Lares corporation, great customer service, the box was right on for fitment and works excellent. They have great pricing also.

http://www.larescorp.com/

·
Registered
329 Posts
get better tie rod connectors than stock

·
Registered
508 Posts
I noticed today while driving my 69 the steering wheel has some play in it. I turn it and it moves a little before the front tires do. I have manual steering. Looking on the steering gearbox, there is what looks to be an adjuster on it. How do I go about adjusting it? Does turning the center screw clockwise tighten it and take slack out? Thanks.
That's how my steering got when one of the Cotter pin broke off, and the Nut eventually went loose and my Sterring module disconnected from the Bars and I was left without Sterring control in the middle of Downtown rush our.

Thank God it happend while going 10 mph and not 60 mph on the highway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts