Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since converting over to a Muncie 4 speed this winter, I noticed a vibration!
was wondering if maybe I missed something! used all new parts except the flywheel which I had resurfaced! thinking maybe I might need to change the
Harmonic balancer to a bigger one! I have a stock 283 motor and it has a thin balancer on it! was an automatic car! was there a different balnacer used for auto and stick cars? I'm thinking it may be out of balance since there was no vibration before the conversion! Thanks

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I would have to believe its something in the driveline and not the balancer since it didnt do it before you changed out the tranny. If it was the balancer you would have noticed it with the automatic. If you push the clutch in while parked in the driveway and rev it up does it still vibrate? Did you install a pilot bearing in the crank for the input shaft? Did any of the caps on the U joints fall off while installing them? Those little sob's are touchy. Did you blow the tires on with an impact wrench and possibly warp the wheel? There's a bunch of variables but these are just some to look at.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
First figure out if it's an RPM dependent vibration or a MPH dependent vibration. Then it can be narrowed down a bit.:yes:

One other thing that comes to mind. :rolleyes: When the flywheel was resurfaced, were the alignment pins for the pressure plate removed and replaced or did the machine shop just grind them off? I've seen it a hundred times and there's a lot of people who say you don't need them anyway but I've had that problem before....:yes:

If it's speed dependent (MPH) then I'd look at the driveshaft as well.:yes: A LOT of times it's balance will be close enough that the slush box (automatic) will help dampen it but you'll feel it behind the standard.:yes:

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
couple of thing to ask.. was the assembly off another engine and was it balance to that engine? did you install a pilot bushing?:eek: the tail shaft bushing.... is it in good shape? and u joints.. recheck them.... you may have developed an issue with the drive shaft R&R

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys I'll just have to live with it for now I guess! Not a hot rod btu wanted a 4 speed for some fun. Everything except the Flywheel was either new or part of the car to start with that's why the question about the balancer! thinking maybe they were different from auto, to standard trans and that would make the motor off balance. I know the 327 l79 had a thicker balancer on it was thinking all standard trans cars maybe had different balancers also! thought maybe that was my problem and a quicker fix then starting all over. Thanks again

·
4,542 Posts
check the drive line angles. Sometimes the different transmissions & mounts can change the angles just enough to cause a vibration.

Miles

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Munchies Vibrate

I have never owned one that didnt, I went nuts , cause my car does the same thing, I have a brand new flywheel, a Hayes Street strip clutch assy, and a ZZ3-350, should be smooth as heck, yet going down the highway, my shifter vibrates, and I can feel it through the car....

Sooooooooo

What can we do eh?

Steve

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
It could be the front U joint slightly worn, I had one that you could barely tell it was worn even apart, but it was the cause of a mild vibration. At least it's a cheap check if you're wrong, too

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the ideas, not much seat time yet but wil be checking everything as time goes by and the seat time goes up! will keep all this in mind! most everythings new, so can't be much I hope! thanks again Rich

1 - 10 of 10 Posts