Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slight oil leak somewhere,when i get on it pretty hard i have oil mist in the front my valve cover on the passenger side and a little on the drivers side, but no leak that i can see anywhere,i wipe it up and try again and there it is ive looked every where and its not on my fuel pump area at all,its all clean there it has me puzzeled ,any ideas, it just a little mess but id like to find it

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Do you have a PCV valve installed? You may be blowing oil out the breathers. If you're running just a breather in each valve cover, that's probably your problem. The breather is to let fresh air into the engine, the PCV is to keep the pressure down inside the engine.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
From under the car you should be able to feel the inside of your harmonic damper to see if there's any oil there. That will tell you if your front seal is leaking.

Valve cover breathers will "Mist" if they're not baffled as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
man its crazy ,i have a PVC valve on one side and a breather obn the other ,and the oil is in front the PVC like on the front end and from the top the valve cover to the intake side and if it was a intake leak if i sprayed carb cleaner it would make a difference in the engine while running right

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
man its crazy ,i have a PVC valve on one side and a breather obn the other ,and the oil is in front the PVC like on the front end and from the top the valve cover to the intake side and if it was a intake leak if i sprayed carb cleaner it would make a difference in the engine while running right
Nope.:no: It's not on the vacuum side (one of the runners). It's just to the crankcase. So it would be the same as spraying carb cleaner at your breather on the valve cover.:D It shouldn't change a thing (idle wise).:no:

The corners of the manifold (front and back manifold-to-block at the corners of the heads) are common problem areas. In those 4 spots, silicone is your friend..:yes:regardless if your a firm believer in the cork or rubber end gaskets or not. I always work a bit into those corners just like you pack a wheel bearing to make sure there's NO potential problem.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so what would be a good way to find if its comming from the intake area do ya have any suggestions

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Ok so what would be a good way to find if its coming from the intake area do ya have any suggestions
You'll laugh (here comes the deep south remedies crap again) but once I took some clean cotton balls and duct-taped a good amount to the front corners of the intake (on the front of the block) and made a quick hit up the street and back. Then I pulled it off to see if they were wet or oil soaked or if just the outside of the tape has oil on it, then you know it's coming from somewhere else.

Also, pull your PCV valve out of the valve cover while it's idling and see how much vacuum you're pulling from it or if it's clogged..

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
I had one of these “where’s Waldo" leaks a while back. I too was getting oil outs the breathers. I still have not put a PCV on :eek: but plan to. Check your dipstick. I had a small leak there. Just my 2 cents on what I went through. Good luck!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im gonna try the cotton thing for sure tonight ,and see if its the intake or not and will post tomorrow,thanks

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I suppose you haven't read the thread about leak detection dye?
Try it. It works.

fyi: also check out similar threads listed in box below

·
Premium Member
8,020 Posts
It sounds like your PCV valve is not functioning to me. That's the only way oil can come out of your breather if the valve cover is baffled. It doesn't take much to clog the pintle inside the valve. Go buy a new one and see if the problem goes away. They're cheap. The "shake" test doesn't work if you are using that to determine if the PCV valve is OK.

I change PCV valves as often as I change spark plugs. It's part of a normal tune-up.

I had one of these “where’s Waldo" leaks a while back. I too was getting oil outs the breathers. I still have not put a PCV on :eek: but plan to. Check your dipstick. I had a small leak there. Just my 2 cents on what I went through. Good luck!!
Not running a PCV valve will cause your dipstick to pop out of the tube and leak too.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
maybe bad vavle cover gaskets if there brittle this will happen i would try to tighten them down oh and also check you distributer gasket. if your intake is leaking it would puddle up some where on the block i dont use the cork end gaskets due to the get old an brittle :yes:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it is the intake i did the cotton thing and there was no oil on my valve cover then when i revealed the cottow walla there was a little oil there it little but im gonna change the gaskets

1 - 17 of 17 Posts