Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this subjet has been on the board for a while but I do need some feed back on what to do.
I´m in the process to finish my rear suspension, for the moment I will use the stock mono leaf, I did put competition enginnering weld on subframe connector but i don need to move the stock leaf inward the car. at the begining I was thinking in use sliders but then I see the offset hangers from Smith Racecraft.
Any recomendation on what to use? I will apreciate all the help I can get.

Leon.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
I went with sliders. I basically wanted my car to sit as low as possible. I got mine from www.capitalmotorsports.com I think they may be the only company that makes sliders that have the correct Chevy sprinh eye size bushings. Most others are made to work with Mopar springs which have much smaller spring eyes. You also use offset spring shackel mounts or make or buy offset shackels. Take a look in my photobucket account at: www.photobucket.com/albums/c231/62civa Look for the folder labled "sliders" or "minitub"
Ron

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply 62civa.
I have seen the pictures of your car and looks really good. I have put on mine 275 60 15 drags but I did move the rear 1 inch. I think I will follow the slider route for simplicity a nd geting the car as low I can get like you.

take care

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
those sliders look cool, and from what I hear make it easier to move the leaf springs inboard when mini tubbing. Not to bash but in civa's case where the slider is welded to the rear subframe now you effectively raised the back end of the car up. Even with his 2" block you can see lots of tire at the wheel opening. I would like to see if there is a way you can cut and slide the slider directly inside the frame rail to keep the ride height the same so the car sits lower.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Leaf-Spring-Slider,5817.html

I ordered fine from here. You can mount them where ever you want. Even if you mount them on the frame rail, they are still a hair up more then the original hangers or just about the same. I mounted mine inboard and about an inch up compared to stock.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
in 6nova4's reply about placing sliders up inside frame rail i was wondering if any body has done this sounds like good idea to help lower ride height

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
How practical are sliders for driving on the street. Where I live the roads are not the best and I am wondering about clicking,snapping,that sort of thing.
The main reason I would be using them is to mini tub the car for a fatter tire:cool:.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
The ones from Capital fit Chevy springs.
Mike,

I noted that the install for the sliders on your car, you mounted them parallel to the frame. In reading the AFCO tech article, it stated that it is best to mount then at an angle. Any thought on this technique vice yours?

·
Registered
386 Posts
How practical are sliders for driving on the street. Where I live the roads are not the best and I am wondering about clicking,snapping,that sort of thing.
The main reason I would be using them is to mini tub the car for a fatter tire:cool:.
We used them on rough dirt tracks for years. You do need to inspect them now and then,but they are easy to tune up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have used sliders on my 66 for years and thought I was the only one. They work great on the street and on the strip. I would tell you this to make your rear suspension really perform go with a set of split rear springs. That will help stop wrap up and some caltracs and you are ready to go

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Mike,

I noted that the install for the sliders on your car, you mounted them parallel to the frame. In reading the AFCO tech article, it stated that it is best to mount then at an angle. Any thought on this technique vice yours?
I'm not sure why they would say that, Ed. But , a possibility could have to do with it be originally designed for a circle track application, where the leaf spring, upon compression, goes into a slight bing, effectively "locking" the suspension into the corners. It also does not seem correct, due to the fact the u bolts going around the axle tubes are going to want to square up the laef springs as well. Great topic!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts