Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 71 nova i have 8inch shakles on the back of the leaf spring and i am trying to tuck a 29.5 x 10.5 with 15 x 8 rim 4.5 bs. the back of the tire is 12 ich from the inner fender which is fine, but the outside of the tire will hit the inside of the fender lip. How should i pull the fender out or any ideas on how to get the inner fender pulled closer to the outer fender and both out further? thanks for your help.

·
Registered
508 Posts
not sure if you want to do this or not but i have takin a sawzall to the lip, cutting every 1.5" - 2" or so. then jack the car up in the back a liittle and take a baseball bat and put it in between the lip and the tire. then just roll the bat back and forth, the lip will roll into the fender well giving you a little more room for you tire. but like i said im not sure if you would want to do that. its what we have done to get that extra little bit of tire under there. lol it does work however. :D

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I have a 71 nova i have 8inch shakles on the back of the leaf spring and i am trying to tuck a 29.5 x 10.5 with 15 x 8 rim 4.5 bs. the back of the tire is 12 ich from the inner fender which is fine, but the outside of the tire will hit the inside of the fender lip. How should i pull the fender out or any ideas on how to get the inner fender pulled closer to the outer fender and both out further? thanks for your help.
I too have used the baseball bat trick and it works, however, why dont' you just get the right offset wheel instead? A 15x8 with 5.5" of backspace should tuck that tire!:yes:

·
Registered
457 Posts
DONT HACK IT UP! That 10.5 tire will NEVER fit. Before you mess up the body, do it right. The most you can do on a 70 is. 10in rim, with 5.5 offset, 9x29.5 x 15 slick, this is what I have, works great. The rim being wider than the tire will give you more tread width, this is what ALL stocker race cars do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i have already bought the slicks and the guy i bought them from had them on his 72 nova, so i know they will work and the reason i cant go with 5.5 is that then the tire will rub on the iframe. i will try the cut and bat roll it and see wat happens. thanks for your help,

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I've done the bat thing too, but my bodyshop friend says don't make the cuts--just roll it back and forth and use a hammer for persuasion. Another way to make more space is with a bottle jack or Porta-Power to spread the 1/4 panel a bit. I gained some room, but got greedy and put a few slight creases in the sheetmetal when going too far.
The correct offset wheel would be a better way. I don't know how some of these guys use 5.5" backspacing, but a 15x8 with 5" is what I see working best. My wheels have about 4.75 and and even that offset was enough for the wheel to come in contact with the lower shock bolt. I drilled another hole in my traction bars to move the shock over enough to clear. This was good for 28x10.5 tires, I tried a 29x10 Hoosier several years ago and they rubbed all over the place, but my car sat lower than stock.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
My car and many, many others have had the slices done to the protruding lip then curl the lip upward then roll the bat between the 1/4 and the tire moving the bat from the small to larger end to the desired opening and if your not careless about it it works out just fine with NO damage or ill affects.

But that offset is just wrong. I run an 8" with 5.5 B/S and had no issues running a 275/60/15, when I got the M/T ET Radials 275/60/15 the section width was wider and I used 1/4" spacers with no issues at all. I have no shackles and my rear is dropped 1". I too re-drilled my traction bar on the left side and moved the lower shock bolt in 3/4" and trimmed off the rest. I also have 4* wedges in the traction bars as well as 4* wedges above the springs for the pinion angle.

Anyone doing this mod is obviously not building a points restoration car. :rolleyes: JMO

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
My car and many, many others have had the slices done to the protruding lip the curl the lip upward then roll the bat between the 1/4 and the tire moving the bat from the small to larger end to the desired opening and if your not stupid about it it works out just fine with NO damage or ill affects.

But that offset is just wrong. I run an 8" with 5.5 B/S and had no issues running a 275/60/15, when I got the M/T ET Radials 275/60/15 the section width was wider and I used 1/4" spacers with no issues at all. I have no shackles and my rear is dropped 1". I too re-drilled my traction bar on the left side and moved the lower shock bolt in 3/4" and trimmed off the rest. I also have 4* wedges in the traction bars as well as 4* wedges above the springs for the pinion angle.

Anyone doing this is obviously not building a points restoration car. :rolleyes: JMO
I rolled the lips on my 67 Nova in order to fit a larger tire " 26x9.5 " slick and my car has won several trophies at car shows for its paint and body work, so rolling the rear lips doesnt mean your hacking the car at all .

·
Registered
930 Posts
heres what I did on my car. Since the inside fender is made up of two pieces, the wheel tub and the outter fender, I cut the inner fender all the way to to the edge to where I could see where the two pieces meet. Then I clamped it together and tacked it along the edge. Then fiberglassed the lip to get a smooth transition. Also this is with 275/60-15 m/t et streets with a 15x8 wheel, 7/16 spacers and 5.5" bs

·
3,863 Posts
Let's just answer the OP's questions and leave the derogatory comments to yourselves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts