Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spotted this over on the H.A.M.B. and thought it was a pretty neat solution to the problem. Basically a custom molded resin fan shroud, with the technique stolen from the pro audio bass enclosure crowd.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380196

Looked pretty simple, I might even consider switching back to a mechanical fan with something this easy.

·
6,502 Posts
Don't go grouping all of the pro audio bass enclosure crowd together. Some of us build similiar things and it's all not about the bass :) .

Anyway, it is a good way to make something custom and the guys on the HAMB do make a lot of custom things (I too am a member on their site).

Anyway if anyone on here wants to do something like that I would tweak what they showed on the HAMB in a few ways.

First I would make the round panel a ring where the fan will reside. You can then stretch the material inside the rings edge and staple it to it leaving less work later.

I would also use a thinner material to stretch over the boards. I've use speaker grill cloth and after you apply the first coat of resin to seal the cloth and make it non porous it offers a smoother outside finish which is easier to make slick.

Since grill cloth or the material they used with just resin soaked into it is not very thick or strong by having the square board portion that will eventually be up aganst the radiator cut out in the middle you can then add fiberglass matting and resin to the back and inside of the form to make it thicker and stronger.

I've made my share of fiberglass projects and it's nice to see someone doing a write up article so others can do similiar things.

If you also put on some type of release material on the wood, you can remove it later a lot easier than if the resin soaks into the wood templates.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts