Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm brand new to this, or any forum. I have recently picked up a 1972 nova with a skyroof option, I think. I do not have the same measurements as what I was told most came with 36" x 36" . My roof cut out is 33" x 36" it has the wind visor and hardware seems correct. It is not in the best of shape and I need to replace. I've seen a few other skyroof owners can anyone tell me what measurement there roof is? :confused:

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site!

Great to see another Skyroof owner out there. Try and post some pictures of your car or tell us more about it.

I think the measurements you took of the roof opening are accurate. I replaced my top at one time and wished I would have measured the hole. The top itself is roughly 39" x 37". From inside the car, the hole in the roof, with all trim parts on, is roughly 35" x 31", so your measurements make sense.

This option was only available in '72 and I believe half of '73. If I am not mistaken, the dimensions in '73 were slightly smaller.

Take care and keep posting!

Eric

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm learning more about the car everyday, it is a 1972 nova originally 350-2, 3 speed auto. a lot I would liked to of kept hidden from myself. I measured the roof opening with all the trim off, actually measured to 33.25 x 36. Thank you for the info given. Is there a place to get the replacement parts of the roof? I'm gonna try to post up some pics. Sorry upside down.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
My buddy was just telling me about these cars and I said BS...they are real..that's awesome
I can't tell you how many people have come up to me asking me why I would butcher my roof to add a silly sunroof. Or, they don't believe me when I tell them it came from the factory this way. I just take out my original brochures, their jaws drop and they say WOW!

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
PM me your email address and I can send a a PDF of the '72 Buick Skylark Service Bulletin on skyroofs.

·
5,129 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the dimensions in '73 were slightly smaller.
I did not know this,
I have a 73 version in a shed about an hour from here.
It is assembled to a cut off roof, I'll have to measure and compare to yours which I assume is a 72 if it's a Rally, correct?

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I did not know this,
I have a 73 version in a shed about an hour from here.
It is assembled to a cut off roof, I'll have to measure and compare to yours which I assume is a 72 if it's a Rally, correct?
Yes, my in a '72.

I was at a Nova Nationals show years ago, and there was a gentleman from Michigan with a '73 Skyroof car. His top was smaller than mine, but don't recall the measurements being drastically different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is not a rally but I would be really interested in finding out what other measurements are or if they are the same as mine, if I do find one to buy to replace or fix mine.

·
13,442 Posts
Would you please send that PDF to me also? I have a '72 Skyroof that I plan to start on soon.
Hopefully, you'll get the info you need, but keep in mind this thread is 7 years old. A PM (Conversation) to the
member might be a good idea.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts