Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody bought a motor from skip white?? any concerns? he has a pretty good deal on a stroker,it has pro comp heads on it but i have my own set of afr's

·
Registered
276 Posts
I thought hard about buying a bowtie setup from him when my K5 blazer 4x4 engine started to go a few years back. His prices are great supply is huge lots of stock for sure he had some bad reviews from a few unhappy guys... but hardly a comparison from his thousands of good reviews. Seems like he's a long term high perfromance engine builder/seller with many years of machining line bore ect experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Motor

I bought Stage one motor last year very happy with it customer service is great
sent flex plate needed flywheel called within 24 hours had correct flywheel

·
Registered
531 Posts
I don't know about engines from skip but i have purchased lots of other parts from him and don't have not one complaint but You never know when you will get a lemon and that goes from anyone selling performance parts. Nobody is perfect.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I will be ordering one of the turn key stage II 383 engines in a month or so for my 72. When you look at Skip White on eBay and note that he has 126000 plus transactions and a 99.6 or higher approval rating he stands behind his stuff.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I will be ordering one of the turn key stage II 383 engines in a month or so for my 72. When you look at Skip White on eBay and note that he has 126000 plus transactions and a 99.6 or higher approval rating he stands behind his stuff.
Not bad mouthing him by any means, but parts transactions are very different then engines IMO. He is one of the largest importer of the Chinese parts and sells alot of it which is where I would say most of those ratings are from, not engines.

Cranker, keep doing your research and make an educated decision. I have seen some of Skips posts and he is very upfront and informative about the parts used. Granted we dont use the cheap chinese stuff because we have seen the bad that comes from it and dont want our name associated with it, but there is a market for it and he utilizes it well.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I bought my rotating assembly from him. They forgot to send my flexplate and ended up sending two of them a couple weeks apart. I sold the Procomp Electronics rods, bought Scat Procomp I beam rods and had the whole assembly rebalanced including both flexplates so I have an extra one. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
You ask the question, I tell the truth and my reference of fact is deleted?

BUYER BE WARE!

You can listen or not, you get what you pay for.

Junk in = junk out!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I thought long and hard about buying one of these engines, that and I think they were called phoenix motors or something like that. I did not buy from skip, or the phoenix company for a few factors.

One is that they are not local to me, so if I have a problem what am I going to do, take the motor out ship it back, didn't sound that reasonable to me at the time and still doesn't.

I always like to talk to someone in person rather than strictly over the phone, and lets say you do get that dreaded lemon. What are you going to do. Parts is completely different than buying a complete engine from somebody.

I personally stuck local with my engine building choice, and could not be happier. The last thing you want is to spend x amount of dollars and not be happy, and if he is local you can always pay him a visit rather than fly across the country or whatever, maybe he is in your back yard in that case I would say go for it.

But I opted not to get a engine because of one reason or another I can't remember them all now and it just didn't feel right because you never know truly what your gonna get, it was about a year ago that I said no and went with my guy, paid a more money but horsepower costs money, and quality parts costs more money too.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I bought a couple of parts from him back in the day. Shipping was quick. But otherwise I sold
those parts due to some minor modifications for them to fit. I haven't bought anything from him since.
Not saying anything bad but I was trying to save a little $$$ and learned. You pay for what you get.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts