Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have started looking at my quarters.drivers side had a repair done before.its not bad but not a good repair.if i was to repair it i might spend a lot of time trying to getting it back to shape.

it looks like it was sideswiped just enough to strech the metal and make it wavy.

the passenger side has a small area of cancer around the top of the wheel well.and the back of the quarted was hit right on the end of it.its not bad but since i am going to have to cut the wheel well would it be easier to just replace both quarter panels/skins. less block sanding?

my door jabs are in great shape no rust my doors align great. no rust around the sail or trunk.

thats why i am thinking of just skins.

what is easier to install a full quarter?
or a skin?

i do under stand i have to but weld the skin.but is it easier to align the skin or the full quarter.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
I put a skin on the passenger side of my 62 because of past damage and if I had it to do over again I would put a full quarter on it. There is less body work to do if you put a quarter on it. By using a skin I had to weld the entire length of the panel.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I usually prefer a full quarter, especially to save labor/time if a shop is doing it. Same thing with doors. You will spend more time (and money if a shop does it) putting a half bottom skin on than just putting the entire skin. Less filler too most of the time. :) I try to use as little filler as possible.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i would skin, full quarters have there own issues around the door opening below the latch near sill plates, around the tail light panel, and the trunk drip rail is nothing like factory it's rounded on bottom instead of squared but i guess the seal will hide it. if i had it to do over i would keep as much original as possible.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm going through this same thought process myself. Should I replace the whole quarter or risk doing the patch? The conclusion I've come to is chance the patch first....If I mess that up, then I'll think about the whole quarter. Based on my local "expert" high rent body shops description of flanging the edges and MIGing the panel @ $45 an hour, I'm willing to take my chances with my own butt-welding skills. Just have to take my time....upwards of 5 hours tacking a small panel in. Hell...5 hours of cooling time is worth more than 5 years of guilt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts