Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between a repair skin for lower rear quarter panel, and what you would get if you cut the same section out of the original factory quarter panel. Is there a difference?

Are skins thinner gauge metal? Will they have have rolled lips around the wheel wells and other important details? Are there disadvantages to using a repair/patch panel skin?

The term "skin" has me worried that it is a flimsy, lesser quality part than what was originally there.

All education is appreciated:D

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I'm not 100% on the gauge but doner parts are of course a perfect match replacement "skins" vary in quality of detail.If it's a particular panel post here and most of the guys will give you who they prefer to deal,some are better than others quality wise.IMO

Paul

·
Registered
624 Posts
A partial skin is pretty much the same quality as a full quarter, at least when comparing repop parts. The only difference is the amount of sheetmetal they replace. My guess would be that the repop skins and full quarters might be slightly thinner than the original sheetmetal, but not by much. The most common complaint is their fitment and the body lines tend not to be as crisp as the originals.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
it depends on the application but a full quarter will usually include the jamb and depending on the model/application, part of the sail panel whereas a skin is more or less the visible part of the quarter...go to www.goodmark.com , should be a good visual refrence...no they are not thinner metal than full quarters, maybe thinner than stock, and the price difference is usually double

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Send a PM to Nightshade. He is a Goodmark distributor, and he can give you any information you need. He can probably get you a better deal too!

Randy (I should be getting a referral fee!!):D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts