Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sixer guys,what MPG are you guys getting? I'm thinking about a six for a daily driver.

·
Registered
689 Posts
go 283

The old Chevy 6's were not great on gas mileage. For a daily driver I would say you will do just as well with a 283 2bbl and it would be much more driver friendly. My 194 doesn't do any better than about 18 mpg pure stock.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
After my engine rebuild, I'm gettin about 17-18 mpg with my 194 (with a few performance upgrades) & 4-speed set up. before the rebuild and with the 3-on-the-tree, i was gettin around 13-14.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
offy intake, holley 390 4bbl, other than that stock 194 six, gets about 15 mpg no matter how i drive it..... 3.36 rear gear, p/g tranny

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I got my car it aready had a V8 in it but to me a 194 would seem a bit underpowered. not to mention wouldn't a 350 TH be a much better trans over a power glide for a driver.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Sixin it

Slow63, you and I will have to hang out some, being I am in San Leandro too.

I will be going to the little bit o trouble of upgrading to a 250 inline six and a th350 trans. I should get the best of both worlds. The trans is a big upgrade on the powerglide and should equate to more mpg. The 250 is a big upgrade to TORQUE so I won'ty have to stick my foot in it soooo hard to get somewhere.

I expect to get some good smiles to the gallon. I don't expect to scare anyone at the drag strip. BUT I also don't think it will be a dawg either.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Wow. I thought 22 mpg was bad for my 194. Guess it is quite good. I remember a few yrs ago when I put on a Holly economizer carb, I got around 25 mpg but it really killed the power. I think the top speed with that carb was 75. Oh, I have 3:08 gears and no power accessories.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My son has the original L6 setup in his 66 with new plugs, wires, dist, points, rotor and a rebuilt single barrel carb. Would the PerTronix electronic ignition change-over help with power, performance and gas mileage (as advertized)???

·
Registered
388 Posts
The son filled up last night and stated 18 MPG - but he as been concentrating on keeping his foot out of it too... He is traveling on windy and hilly road back and forth to school everyday, not the best for gas mileage anyway.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
when i swapped to the pertronix kit didnt notice much diff in mpg, car ran smoother especially at higher rpms, now i have a hei distributor in it and i think it runs way better than stock or the pertronix kit, but once againg not much diff on mpg.....

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I've got a 64 SS with a stock 194, HEI, 700R4, and 3.08 rear end. I get 18-22mpg. The L6 is coming out soon to be replaced with a TBI 350. I'm hoping for better.

Tim

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow, I hate to say, but I'm rather depressed reading this thread! I've got a '65 Nova as a daily driver that came with a 250 and a powerglide (I think the gears are stock 3.08), and it gets about 19 with mostly highway driving. I thought I was on the low end.... I used to drive a '67 Biscayne (much heaver) daily with close to 200k on the 283 and 3 on the tree, and got about 18 with it. I've got a 194 and 200-4R that I was planning to use, with the hopes that the transmissions lower first gear would give the 194 about the same get up and go, and the overdrive giving me better milage. Is this just wishful thinking? I'm running stock manifolds now, and am planning on a slightly better exhaust in the not-too-distant future, would that help? Would the extra gears of the 3 speed overdrive help me keep my foot out of it or would I do better with a 230? I have this bad fealing that trial-and-error may be the only way to find out :)

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Slow63, you and I will have to hang out some, being I am in San Leandro too.

I will be going to the little bit o trouble of upgrading to a 250 inline six and a th350 trans. I should get the best of both worlds. The trans is a big upgrade on the powerglide and should equate to more mpg. The 250 is a big upgrade to TORQUE so I won'ty have to stick my foot in it soooo hard to get somewhere.

I expect to get some good smiles to the gallon. I don't expect to scare anyone at the drag strip. BUT I also don't think it will be a dawg either.
Nice! We have some Bay Area folks here! I thought I was alone. I'm in Milpitas. I currently have a 250/6 on a TH350. Not sure of the mileage as I got started on the restoration on my second day of owning it. I considered keeping it, but I may be swapping out to a small block 350 very soon. Are you interested in a 250/6? It's in good running condition. I can take a photo if you'd like, or you can feel free to stop by to take a look at it.

IRIE

1 - 18 of 18 Posts